Its FAST!!!

Tell us what you think or what problems you had

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Its FAST!!!

Postby flimbag » Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:32 pm

Wow, I go away for a little while, and what do I see when I come back?

A nice, clean redesign of the logo which is a dramatic improvement. I was going to say something about the previous logo, but I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

But best of all, the site is now FAST! No more grinding waits. I love it!

Great job, Phil. (Assuming you've actually made changes and it isn't just the random vagaries of the net.)
flimbag

Postby phil » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:35 am

Thanks for the kind words about the partial redesign. We wanted to tidy that up and it's good practice for the total makeover we have planned.

As for the speed, I can't take any credit for that. The new home page will render a little more quickly, true - but I'm afraid the rest of it *is* down to the vagaries of the net and the variability of the load on the shared server we currently use. This morning it was really bad again :-(

Longer term there is a dedicated server we "own" just gathering dust - there's a small set of tasks I have to complete before I undertake the planned cut over. Then you'll see *fast*.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:44 pm

I hate to burst the bubble, but the site is hideously slow for me today, it's taking 25 seconds plus to load a page, but all other sites are fast.

SimonP
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby phil » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:18 pm

You're not bursting the bubble Simon - I know how it is, I just can't do much about it in the short term

Since this affords me the opportunity, here is the quote from Host Europe's support page about the problems we've been facing:

Host Europe wrote:System Status

14th June 2004 - 13:18 PM

Our Saturn server is currently experiencing problems resulting in it being temporarily offline. The problem has been identified as a hardware issue and our engineers are working hard to rectify and restore our high level of service. We hope to have the server up shortly and shall continually update this status page to keep you informed. We expect the work should last no longer than 30 minutes. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience.

Update - 14:10 Work is continuing to return Saturn to normal service, the server will be temporarily offline for a while longer while the hardware is repaired. We expect the server to be back up shortly, however we will keep this page updated with further news as the issue progresses.

Update - 14:40 - The work has now been completed and the server back online, the performance is being monitored closely over the next 24 hours to ensure the server is operating to its usual high standard. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused and thank you for your patience while this was resolved.

"Usual high standard"? They must be talking about a different server :-(
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Return to Forum Feedback