Changing signature

Tell us what you think or what problems you had

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Changing signature

Postby MKSwing » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:15 am

Hello,
I tried to change my signature in the profile form but my new one isn't saved. I always get my old one after saving.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby phil » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:34 am

Stephane (and anyone else who is interested).

Sites like this one combine two pieces of software that were originally made to stand separately. Postnuke, which is the framework around which the whole site is built, has its own user management capabilities. In there is a signature block, for use when one is using those facilities in Postnuke which allow direct contribution. We're not using any of those facilities.

Then there is the forum software. The original package is phpBB2, a stand alone forum package for web sites. TMC started out with this software before we integrated everything into Postnuke and started to evolve into what we have today. (The observant amongst you will realise that we are still evolving).

The forum software has its own user management capability (because it was originally built to stand alone). The version that is integrated into Postnuke (PNphpBB2) still retains many of the original separate user management capabilities. To a degree this is beneficial, as the forum requires a whole load more stuff that the main site doesn't use. However, from time to time this causes confusion.

This is one of those times.

If you're still with me - I like people to understand why things are the way they are. I believe the next version of PNphpBB2 will improve matters in this area, and also provide new capabilities like an RSS feed (eagerly awaited by DrZeus).

So, the solution:

Don't use My Account to change your forum profile. Use Profile at the top centre of the page, just to the right of the PNphpBB2 logo.

Sorry for any confusion. You're certainly not the first to fall into this trap Stephane.

Phil
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby MKSwing » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:01 pm

phil wrote:If you're still with me - I like people to understand why things are the way they are. I believe the next version of PNphpBB2 will improve matters in this area, and also provide new capabilities like an RSS feed (eagerly awaited by DrZeus).

Oh you know, even if signature didn't exist or it wasn't possible to change it, that would have been ok for me. That's not the most important thing of the posts anyway.
RSS would be cool :)

phil wrote:Don't use My Account to change your forum profile. Use Profile at the top centre of the page, just to the right of the PNphpBB2 logo.

Mmmmmh, I was using Profile but I didn't hit the right button. If you hit the refresh button, you get the same info as when you submit the form at the end of the page, but your infos aren't updated.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Return to Forum Feedback