Censorship

Tell us what you think or what problems you had

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Olings » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:25 am

Personally I feel that Phil has every right to safeguard the forum from what he feels is advertising as one of the forums main profiles is being non-commercial. I also understand that doing this the right way (without stepping on toes and so on) can sometimes be tricky.

As for censorship I feel that Phils explanation is clear and I for one have never doubted the intents of this forums moderators.

Having said this; it's also important to allow people to voice their complaints and such even though it might be against the general posters beliefs. The fact that this thread is still up and running I feel is a proof that this is not a problem at TMC.

Just my 2 cents.

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby simonp » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:50 am

I think we need to be very carefull here. There has obviously been some goings on that is not (and may never be) clear to the general membership regarding certain people and certain companies. Unfortunately I do feel that imparting censorship (even if it was felt to be right) is heading towards dangerous territory, and could fuel certain peoples arguments about partiality.
Everyone (I think) agress that open advertising is unwanted, but it is very difficult to judge when someone points someone towards a particular company whether they have any gain from it. Certainly the general membership may not know if a particular member has commercial connections to another company even if the moderators do, so could lead to confusion.

I'm not criticising what Phil did, I don't have the facts and I trust him that there was good reason, I just think caution needs to be applied that there is not a misunderstanding. I think this is the first time that this had happened, and I hope there is not too much damage done.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Previous

Return to Forum Feedback