A forum about blending?

Tell us what you think or what problems you had

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Do we want a forum about blending coffee?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:12 pm

Yes please, I'd like to talk about blending a lot
25%
No, I'm interested in the subject but a forum is too much
75%
No thanks, I'm not interested in blending. I buy pre-roasted.
No votes

Total votes : 8

A forum about blending?

Postby phil » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:12 pm

See moccafaux's post "Something extra for blends".
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:15 pm

I usually buy pre-roasted, but I'd rather abstain from voting than saying 'No'. If the roasters feel a need for an extra forum, no problem for me. I don't particularly mind the issue of a "busy" forum lay-out.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:30 pm

Neku, in all honesty are you mainly a non-roaster because of time constraints or because you can't really get on with your Imex and don't want to spend the money on a Hottop right now? I do admit that M. De Boe's roasts are quite nice for a commercial roast though (no offence to PeterJ or Eeffoc).

Also, I didn't actually understand the last sentence at all. Please explain?

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:47 pm

I don't know why I'm a non-roaster. I guess a bit of both reasons you mentioned: time + Imex problems.

The last sentence referred to something you said in moccafaux' thread where the idea of a separate forum was mentioned: you said you liked to keep the forum page clear and not too 'busy'.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:49 pm

The last post on the Beans and Cupping Forum was 2 weeks ago, I think it can stand the extra traffic! You could re-title that forum to include blending explicitly I guess. I'm voting "interested but not a new forum".

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby phil » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:15 pm

HughF wrote:The last post on the Beans and Cupping Forum was 2 weeks ago, I think it can stand the extra traffic! You could re-title that forum to include blending explicitly I guess. I'm voting "interested but not a new forum".

Fair points Hugh, and also in line with Eeffoc's "where has everyone gone?" post.

For the second point, I see a lot of members and guests visiting briefly, presumably looking to see if anyone else has contributed something new and interesting.

For the first pont, I'm with Hugh. Splitting a low volume of traffic into two halves doesn't make much sense. If the situation changes we could always revisit the situation.

However, it's down to the membership. So keep voting.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby alans » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:26 pm

I love reading about blending, I do more reading about blending than I do blending! But I think the traffic isn't there yet to need another forum, perhaps changing it to:

Beans - Cupping, Blending and Revelations

Or something along those lines.
alans

Postby Raf » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:45 pm

Good idea, Alan.

Raf
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:56 pm

I'm with alan sounds a great idea. I too love blending ideas and alike, would it encourage people to talk about it if we has a forum dedicated? Not sure
Steve
Founder Member

Postby cleverdic » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:01 pm

Yes, yes and yes. More chat about blending. How we achieve it I don't really mind but if it takes a separate forum to initiate it, I'm all for it.
Rancilio S24 and MD40
Gene Cafe Roaster
cleverdic

Postby quink » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:06 am

I'd like to know more about blending, I dont really seem to do any of it unless I've got to fill the roaster up and only have dregs left from various bags of greens. Obviously not the best way to start :cry:
quink

Postby peterj » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:57 am

Lots of yes's from here too. Blending and creating new tastes and "playing" is just the best part of the hobby (& biz). Also it can be really complicated if you want it to.
Also as Eeffoc will probably agree, as "professonal" man of coffee, you have to have more than just a coffee from a Farm- country etc. You have your signature.
peterj

Postby Steve » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:24 pm

Oh couldnt agree more. My Espresso blend is Me. My biggest and most important bean. And my Dot Com is equally big and important. I'm always looking for new ideas so I think more chat on Blending would be great.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:11 pm

I would be in favour if we had a bit more traffic (pointing the finger to myself too). It should be one of our "Key Success Factors". So, just a "no" for now.

My Espresso machine is still broken and I will not have access to my coffee stuff for the next three months, so I wouldn't be able to add anything to a blending forum at the moment.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby cleverdic » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:39 am

I would like to pick up again on Hugh's suggestion to expand the current "Beans and Cupping" forum to say for example, "Beans, blending and cupping"

Surely thats a good compromise between the arguments against starting a new forum versus a natural home for the discussion on blending.

Blending is my least knowledgeable part of the home coffee experience and I would like to see, for example, an idea where we could each select a set of beans to roast and blend and then share the results on the forum. The more experienced members can tell us blending newbies what to look out for. A bit like a wine tasting club done remotely.

When do we draw a conclusion to the voting?
Rancilio S24 and MD40
Gene Cafe Roaster
cleverdic

Next

Return to Forum Feedback