Compulsory first post in clubroom?

Tell us what you think or what problems you had

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Compulsory first post in clubroom?

Postby chemistone » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:52 pm

As far as I'm aware there is an unwritten rule to introduce oneself at the first post in this forum. Although I don't like too many rules (in general) I like the idea that the first post is an introduction. In this way a community is being built and maintained. Most people do post an introduction, but some people are so enthusiastic that they start posting in other topic first. How about a compulsory first post in the MC and after that they are a full member. I think this can be done by a simple setting in the admin panel of this board.
As a final touch God created the Dutch

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Re: Compulsory first post in clubroom?

Postby AlanP » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:13 pm

chemistone wrote:How about a compulsory first post in the MC and after that they are a full member.

With respect,I don't like the idea.
Please,no more 'rules', written or unwritten

Come to think of it, I don't believe I submitted an introductory post,
I just slipped in quietly by the back door.
Alan....Image
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby espressomattic » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:17 pm

Wouldn't expect anything less Alan ;)
espressomattic

Postby kingseven » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:23 pm

I never wrote an introductory post either. I suspect its because I've been here too long, back in the days when you had to submit a proposal to join including introductory details of your coffee experience.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby chemistone » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:28 pm

I have to admit that I'm a bit ambiguous about the idea. Partly I agree with Alan, as less rules as possible. Sometimes you want to know a bit more about people and than it is handy to lookup the first intro post.
Actually I was looking for the intro of kingseven the other day.

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby kingseven » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:30 pm

What do you want to know then eh?

kingseven

Postby chemistone » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:37 pm

To be honest, I don’t know exactly. Steve mentioned your name on the portafilter pod cast and I've been reading some fundamental articles from your site. I figured out you are some kind of pro barista (UK barista champion) and just wanted to know more. Don't worry, I won't stalk (is that English?) you ;).

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby kingseven » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:52 pm

Its fine - I work for La Spaziale in the UK as their training manager, so I teach barista skills most of the time. I try not to be obvious about working for a machine vendor (though most people know!) Before La Spaziale I worked for Gaggia though mostly dealing with the domestic range. I used to be the smug latte artist on here, but I think a few are more deserving of that title these days.
I am the UK barista champ, and used Steve as my roaster and partner in crime for the winning blend. I was also the first UK barista to make the grand final at WBC, eventually placing fifth. I am a bit into food science - hence some of the posts - and also a bit of a coffee nerd. Lately I've been getting grumpy and losing patience with the state of coffee in the UK, and the coffee suppliers in particular, but I am sure I will calm down.

Anything else then drop me a PM and though I am rubbish I will eventually try and respond!

kingseven

Postby simonp » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:10 pm

kingseven wrote:I never wrote an introductory post either. I suspect its because I've been here too long, back in the days when you had to submit a proposal to join including introductory details of your coffee experience.

Me too! Personally I think it should be left to the individual if they want to introduce themselves in a post or not, a rule would be a bit draconian to my mind.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby ben_edwards » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:34 pm

I think its a nice touch. But I agree that there shouldn't be a rule. It's up to the member.
Gaggia Classic PID
Gaggia MDF
ben_edwards

Postby espressomattic » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:36 pm

I don't think it hurts to tell other about yourself if you want to, some may some may not. I think introducing rules per se would do more harm than good. I think out of politeness it wouldn't go amiss especially if you intend to be a regular, however if not, no problem. I was asked to do a short write up and happily obliged, as others have done. One thing I love about this virtual community is the respect members have for one another, it is great. I have developed some really good friends through here as a result...anyway back on topic....
espressomattic

Postby phil » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:02 pm

For the record (as I'm the person with the power of veto over any of this - although don't worry, I'm an almost compulsive democrat)
  1. People don't have to introduce themselves, but it is kinda nice. I strongly agree with the comments re the sense of community.
  2. Personally I always wanted folk to introduce themselves in a public (rather than closed) forum, as I wanted potential members to see what kind of people we are and as a result decide to join.
  3. Nonetheless the tradition of introducing oneself in the Clubroom has evolved and is strongly established. Far be it from me to stomp on tradition :)
  4. There have been a number of fairly vigorous discussions (both in and out of the public view) about the rules that should apply to TMC
  5. The consensus, which I very strongly support, has always been that the fewer rules the better
  6. 'Nuff said.

'Kay?
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:10 am

I like rules

Rule Number 1

No Rules :)

Whos this phil bloke is he going to do a welcome post
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:47 am

Maybe we should have a compulsory initiation ceremony and wear silly hats too :roll: . I like Steve's idea and Phil's avatar :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby chemistone » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:04 am

Any outcome would be fine for me (except being banned for raising such a stupid idea ;)). I have the same rule set as Steve :) but I knew about the option in the forum software.

I wear a stupid hat when I welcome new members, but people here doesn't seem to notice it. :shock:

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Next

Return to Forum Feedback