Directions, plz?

Tell us what you think or what problems you had

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

What do you think should be the focus of this site other than a lively forum?

More reviews of machines and beans.
13%
I love to read personal stories about people's espresso quest, so more of those, please!
38%
If we want to educate the public, we need "How to's" on just about every aspect of espresso making.
No votes
A lot of weblinks to people who are concerned about coffee.
No votes
Magazine-like content: interviews, articles, news stories on coffee.
50%
We should plaster the front page with banner ads and pop-ups and get stinking rich!
No votes

Total votes : 8

Directions, plz?

Postby Raf » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:19 pm

I think we can be fairly happy with how far we got with this website/community in this limited amount of time, but I'm wondering what you guys feel is necessary for the future of the site, hence the poll. Just rant and rave, and dish it out! Any and all ideas are valuable!
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:24 pm

Personally I think that original content is what makes websites great, so I voted for the interviews & articles thing. People will read How To's and FAQ's on proper coffee preparation, but nothing grabs attention like a good story does, and people remember stories better than any lesson, however hard they studied it.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:32 pm

Seconded! We need to differentiate ourselves IMO. Articles is one way. Coffee reviews is another.

I personally don't want us to be a European "me too" site.
phil
Founder Member

Postby phil » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:33 pm

I voted for the "magazine like" content. Personally I'm also very keen on the coffee reviews, but since you bundled them with machine reviews, which I'm less keen on, it was tough to vote for that.

Actually what we need is a survey not a poll, because this question is multi-faceted. I have a survey module I can implement easily (allegedly). Shall I do that Neku, and then we can do this sort of thing rather better?
phil
Founder Member

Postby michel » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:52 pm

Pitty I can't only vote for one option... I think they are all important! But as Neku already said: It are the personal things that are remembered best.

Michel
(hoping to visit the Dutch latte-champion a visit Sunday...)
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby Raf » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:58 am

(hoping to visit the Dutch latte-champion a visit Sunday...)

Seriously Michel: that's great news.

Raf
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:01 am

Actually what we need is a survey not a poll, because this question is multi-faceted. I have a survey module I can implement easily (allegedly). Shall I do that Neku, and then we can do this sort of thing rather better?

I just thought we'd brainstorm a bit and go from there, I'm not sure we need a 'professional' survey. It's just a means to get everybody to think where we want to go and get a feel for what everyone wants. But if you want a survey, by all means let's do a survey, should be fun! ;)

Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:08 am

OK brainstorm for now, shall I issue the warnings to the Met Office?
phil
Founder Member

Postby Sunnyfield » Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:20 pm

I voted for bean reviews, although, like the others, I think we should focus on original content. To get people started FAQs and How-To's are very good, but its use is limited. I like the articles, but that means people have to keep on producing new stuff, which I have failed to do so completely, so far.

There are three things that make us unique so far:
* European and limited membership;
* Close group of friends make it intimate and makes people more dedicated;
* We have more cupping and bean reviews (relatively) then other sources.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby gruff » Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:28 pm

I voted for the magazune style content. The how to's and reviews are also appreciated, but there is a lot of info like that already available elsewhere. Nice to have something a bit different!

Gruff
gruff

Postby phil » Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:57 pm

I think the hardware reviews are a bit "me too", but I like the bean reviews. They are distinctive IMO (although I for one need to get better at them).
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:23 pm

I love bean reviews (i love to hear other peoples opinions). I voted though for peoples experiances with coffee, as these are just more peronal. The best thing in my opinion about the site is I feel I know every one or I will know everyone soon.

One thing that worries me about growing is losing that belonging to the community.
Steve
Founder Member

Return to Forum Feedback