Manchester's Finest

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Re: Manchester's Finest

Postby Tongle » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:37 pm

Update.
There seem to be more and more coffee shops opening in Manchester.

Went to Foundation Coffee on Lever street today. Unfortunately first impressions were somewhat disappointing. They do the usual list of coffees and have a helpful guide above the bar. I chose to have a filter coffee because that's what I tend to drink at home via V60.

The cup was small, the brew was luke warm and seemed a bit stale to me. As the drink continued there was a nice chocolate aftertaste but none of the floral or fruity notes you get from a good brew.
Service was a bit matter of fact and whilst I don't expect a full blown coversation....a smile would not be too much to ask.

I then popped around the corner to North Tea Power and the experience could not have been more different. Helpful staff, a wide choice of brew methods (chose an Ethiopian V60), a good serving of well brewed hot tasty coffee.

I will try Foundation again, it seemed popular and perhaps the milk drinks are a better choice? Also have yet to try Takk.
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Hario Skelton Pro hand grinder
Tongle

Postby dr.chris » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:54 am

I need to go on another wander around the coffee shops. Had jury service November 2014 so went out at lunchtimes then, but otherwise it seems like a long way to go.

This time (sort of) last year I went up town with the missus. We went to the grindsmiths shack then on to the roasters at Heart and Graft which is about 5 minutes walk further west and had a great chat with a roaster there.

Coffeefix is always worth a shout down in Gatley.
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby atlantis » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:45 am

my personal experiences

NTP : usually great milky and v60 but occasionally hectically busy
Takk : not quite up there with NTP but I prefer the space and the food
Fig and sparrow : great filter good milky
Idle hands coffee : my go to place while next to Piccadilly, will drop by on Monday first time st their new location, always consistently great milky and filter and nice people
Foundation, Grindsmiths mostly ok but more hit and miss than the others, the Grindsmiths shack is better but even so not as consistent as the rest
atlantis

Postby Tongle » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:40 pm

A new coffee shop has shot to the top of my list here in Manchester....

http://www.ancoats-coffee.co.uk/

They have their own roaster which is clearly visible behind the counter and is often 'in steam'!

Their roasts are amazingly good. I especially like the Rocko Mountain Reserve Ethiopian Natural (Heirloom Variety).

But mostly the staff are so friendly and helpful.
I took one of my roasting attempts to Manni who was kind enough to cup it for me and came and sat with me for half an hour while we discussed tasting notes, how to improve the roast, what to look and listen for, how long to go into first crack and what to expect if I got it right. He even gave me two samples of roasted example o the two green beans I bought to compare my roasts with.

That is seriously excellent customer service!

Please visit if you get chance, the surroundings (being a modernised Victorian mill) are also awesome!
Chemex
Behmor 1600 roaster
Oomph coffee maker
Cona syphon
Aeropress
V60 (02)
Baratza Encore grinder
Hario Skelton Pro hand grinder
Tongle

Postby Alberto2445 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:15 am

Thank you guys for your well discussion and thread. Myself really glad to see this thread here. I also love coffee as well. This help me to refresh myself all the time. The whole day even at night I drink coffee to keep my energy and body strong. This is the legitimate process to keep yourself awaken. I much appreciate coffee to all http://coffeesupremacy.com/

Hope you'll enjoy. :)
Alberto2445

Previous

Return to Places to drink coffee