Goodbye C1, Lyttelton Coffee Company & wee Matti

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Goodbye C1, Lyttelton Coffee Company & wee Matti

Postby mrkyle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:57 pm

Thought some of you might like to know that these two iconic cafes are no longer as of last Tuesday's earthquake. I haven't seen it, but apparently C1 collapsed completely. I've seen Lyttelton Coffee Co, and the brick walls have crumbled for the most part, held together only by the steel earthquake strengthening framework. I'd imagine there would've been other cafe casualties. Supreme's christchurch shop is opposite the CTV building that collapsed with a whole bunch of people inside, and that whole area was a total wreck.
Christchurch also lost a good barista, a long-time employee of Underground Coffee, Matti Mceachen. He'd moved on from coffee to train as a tattoo artist, and was missed. He will be missed infinitely more now.
RIP.
mrkyle

RE: Goodbye C1, Lyttelton Coffee Company & wee Matti

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:55 pm

That is a terrible shame amidst a shocking tragedy and loss of life :(
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby leecb » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:14 am

That really is dreadful news Kyle.
I hope that everyone else is safe and well and doing the best that they can in the circumstances. At least buildings and businesses can be rebuilt, even though it feels so hard, lives lost are another thing altogether, it is so hard to accept this happening in our own country.
My thoughts are with the people of Christchurch as are many here in the UK who are trying to help.
Leigh
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby lukas » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:38 pm

Kyle, the thoughts are with you down there. First thing I did after I heard the news was checking with Anne wether you were OK. There's really not much I can say, other than sometimes, life sucks. I hope you'll all recover and get all the help you need!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Re: RE: Goodbye C1, Lyttelton Coffee Company & wee Matti

Postby mrkyle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:22 am

lukas wrote:Kyle, the thoughts are with you down there. First thing I did after I heard the news was checking with Anne wether you were OK. There's really not much I can say, other than sometimes, life sucks. I hope you'll all recover and get all the help you need!

Thanks Lukas. Yeah, that's life I guess. My silver lining gleams a little brighter than most, however. I'll be seeing you in a couple of weeks! Uni Konstanz were kind enough to let me extend my exchange, and now I'm starting Uni in April. I land in Frankfurt on the 25th, so I'll be in Bielefeld for a couple of days, if you're around.

bis dann!
mrkyle

RE: Re: RE: Goodbye C1, Lyttelton Coffee Company & wee M

Postby lukas » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:30 pm

Good news Kyle! Looking forward to see you again!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Return to Places to drink coffee