Any other old Higgins customers?

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Any other old Higgins customers?

Postby sicinius » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:32 am

I have a soft spot for Higgins of Duke Street.

Long before all these newcomers, back in the 60's and 70's, Mr and Mrs Higgins were selling brilliant coffees, hand grinders and the virtues of press pots and vacuum pots. Their Tanzanian Double A Chagga got me through my exams. They moved rather suddenly from South Molton St in the 80's and afterwards, you could see the odd frustrated ex-customer, sniffing the air in the street, wondering what had happened.

These days they look a bit expensive compared to upstarts like Steve and SMC and they've sort of missed the whole home espresso machine scene, http://www.hrhiggins.co.uk/ but Mrs Higgins is still there and knows the business like few others and if you go downstairs, will make you an excellent cup of coffee while the wife is in Selfridges.
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

RE: Any other old Higgins customers?

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:57 pm

It sounds lovely. Like one of those steps back in time to wonderful memories. It's nice that there are still some places like that with lots of history about.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Places to drink coffee