notes music and coffee

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

notes music and coffee

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:15 pm

surprised nobody else has posted this place, its a coffee geek paradise.

La Marzzoccoo Strada for espresso, and a Uber boiler brew bar, with a menu of different squaremile coffees, using different brew methods, today was two el salvadours with a V60 or a cloth filter, or suki quto from a syphon, which i had.

I had just visited exchange coffee who were at the chocolate festival on the southbank this weekend, and walked past Notes, this lunchtime. I only heard about it after a chance meeting with somebody at dose a moth ago, he happened to be on the brew bar this afternoon.

I had the syhon, which is placed in front of me, with a little gas burner, timer at the ready and coffee all weighed and ground and dosed meticulously. The syphon is always an attention grabber particularly in a busy shop :shock:

I wonder how much brewed coffee they will sell, I expect £4 - £4.50 is more expensive than most people are used to for a coffee without milk, but it is a rare service around central london, the quality of coffee and service is certainly exceptional.

http://notesmusiccoffee.com/
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

Postby ahgee2 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Seconded - I was also at Notes yesterday. It's not all Square Mile, for espresso-based drinks you can currently choose between Square Mile Autumn and Hasbean Kicker. The mrs and I shared a syphon of the Ethiopian (£4 for two isn't that bad, there was plenty to share), then I had a Sq M espresso, she had a flat white, both excellent. Everyone there was very welcoming, and the baristas seemed to be getting the most out of the exceptional kit and beans. Highly recommended.
ahgee2

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:44 pm

I've been meaning to go for a while... I've heard loads of good news about Notes. I'm most interested in the Brew bar. Anyone know what the opening hours are? I can't see them on their website. Thank you.
Chris

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Sounds great. Has anyone else sampled anything there as yet?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Glenn » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:27 pm

Opening times (likely to vary over xmas/new year)
Mon-Fri: 7:30 - 21:00
Sat: 08:30 - 21:00
Sun: 09:30 - 17:30

Situated right next to the Coliseum Theatre there is always a pre-theatre crowd but I've always managed to get a seat* when I have been in at other times (*sometimes the last seat at the brew bar)

The Suke Quto is going off right now. Try it as a syphon, you won't be disappointed.

The team have mastered the Strada too, pulling shots in different ways to get the best out of the espresso I have had there.

There is a fair amount of data logging going on, which is great to see, so that brews can be repeated

I can recommend the carrot cake too
Gaggia Classic | Mahlkonig Vario | Chemex | Aeropress | Refractometer & Extract Mojoâ„¢ | mypressi TWISTâ„¢ | Reg Barber Copper Base Tamper | and only the best beans
Glenn

Postby psychomansam » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:45 pm

Very good shout this one.

Two visits last week while coffee-shopping my way round London. I tried all their coffee.

The cloth brew was excellent.

The syphon was decent first time, excellent second. Second time we sat at the bar and watched the amount of care/timing going into it. Very damn impressive even at home, let alone in a commercial busy environment

The filter we had was very good but brewed a little light for my taste.

The square mile (autumn) espresso was excellent

the hasbean (kicker) espresso was interesting. Very heavy flavours coming through, woody and deeper than I was expecting, particularly of a hasbean coffee. I checked the tasting notes and didn't seem to match the drink. Not sure what was going on there. Should say it didn't taste bitter or bad, just not what was expected and not quite up to standard of the square mile.

I had the decaf (square mile el chino) in a capp. [Call me a heathen, but i don't quite see the deal with a flat white. It's still a milk drink! rant over.] Obviously not the best way to judge it, but it tasted pretty good, smooth, nothing stood out, which with a decaf is often the best you can hope for. The milk disappointed me slightly. Foam was half decent but topped with larger bubbles.

That particular barista was doing good work on the shots but how many are perfect everytime with the milk. Takes a lot of staff behind the bar with somewhere that busy and open that long. All over it was by far my best shop in london so far...

...and for all the coffee snobbery, I have to say a decent amount of that is down to the excellent customer service from the extremely friendly and hard working staff. And i'm not just being nice because of the very very lovely girl serving me on the till.
:D
Thanks guys!
Bezzera BB105, Hario slim grinder, Hario filter, swissgold filter, aeropress, cafetieres, cold brewer, stovetops, lots of teas...

...and lots of love
:-)
psychomansam

Postby psychomansam » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:54 pm

and i should say that the cloth/filter were square mile Finca Mauritania

One washed, the other natural, but can't remember which way round...
Bezzera BB105, Hario slim grinder, Hario filter, swissgold filter, aeropress, cafetieres, cold brewer, stovetops, lots of teas...

...and lots of love
:-)
psychomansam

Postby Bombcup » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:40 pm

Went here this evening and had a very good cloth brew of the Mauritania.

First of all, that is a special coffee. Kaleidoscopic would be one way to describe it, top end revealing a new fruit every couple of minutes, and the base transforming from rich cocoa to caramel.

Secondly the staff are great, really taking great care with the preparation and the ambience of the place is very warm and welcoming.

It's the most impressed I've been for a long time.
Bombcup

Return to Places to drink coffee