9 November get-together

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby DrZeus » Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:04 pm

phil wrote:A great shame John can't make it. How long before you get your legal resident status?

(And on another topic, did you get any greens?)

I didn't even see this until today, Phil. I just turned in my paperwork a week ago, and it apparently takes 3 months to complete. This is something I should have turned in within my first week here, but with everything else involved in moving to a new country with a new language and a new culture, it took 6 months. :?

As for green, I've been in private contact with Steve, and he's getting a quote together for me. Thanks for asking!
DrZeus

Postby Steve » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:03 pm

Thanks to sunny phil and hugh for coming up today. I hope you enjoyed it. I'll let you all take the story on as i'm kind of biased. For those who couldnt come you were missed.

Cheers
Steve
Founder Member

Postby HughF » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:59 pm

It was a very interesting day, many thanks for organising it Eeffoc.

I will just "speak" personally, not for anyone else :
There were some very interesting discussions of the current state of home-roasting (including the potential for the Hottop in Europe and the availability of the I-Roast).

Eeffocs new roaster looks extremely nifty and we saw the first serious roast on it; it's kind of mind-boggling seeing that many green beans going into just one roast after the 75/85 gram loads of my HWP. I (knowingly) heard second crack for the first time ever during that roast.

I came out with a bit more faith in the roasting of my HWP (having inflicted a home-roasted JS4321 espresso blend on Eeffoc and Phil) and an interesting idea for obtaining a more even roast from my current interpretation of the JS4321 espresso blend which will let me take it a bit darker (replace the 30% Aged Sulawesi which roasts too fast in the HWP with Eeffoc's Bolivian).

Some Indian Cherry Robusta was offered in the cupping by a sadistic Eeffoc; unforgettable is the polite description! I thought the other 4 (arabica!) coffees (Brazil, Bolivian, Panama, ?Costa Rican? - I may be wrong here) in the cupping were very nice, particularly the Brazilian and Bolivian (I bought 2Kg of both). I also bought a 14oz. frothing jug as it looked like the JS-suggested shape for latte art (straight-sided and with a small, straight "beak") - it's like the quest of the desperate but optimistic golfer for the ultimate putter I guess! (That's the third similarly-sized frothing jug I've bought. At least they're cheaper than golf clubs.)

I thought I checked the batteries on my ageing digital camera before travelling but these promptly gave up on the first shot after I arrived in Stafford so I regret the absence of any incriminating photos here...

Thanks again to Eeffoc, our very gracious host, for a highly enjoyable day.

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Raf » Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:42 pm

Thanks, Hugh, it's great to read about your day together. I hope more stories will follow!
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Places to drink coffee