Flask White

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Flask White

Postby PhilT » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:47 am

I'll put my hand up to being a flask user. I make an extra coffee in the morning to have on the train to work as I recover from cycling to the station... we refer to this as a "flask white".

On the return stretch, I usually carry tea. However, I note that Starbucks are kindly offering to fill my flask on the house tomorrow (15 April).

Details here:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/ ... #starbucks

Maybe this is of interest to others in the flask/insulated cup community :-)

Phil

P.S. Happy to detour via any coffee shop in Soho should there be a better offer...
La Spaziale S1 Mini, Mazzer Mini E, Aeropress, Kyocera hand grinder
PhilT

RE: Flask White

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Useful info. Thanks Phil :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Sharpjd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:36 pm

There are better deals than this one in Soho. I know a number of places where for only £2.50 more ul get a great coffee.
Sharpjd

Postby Tristan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:12 pm

Maybe if we all go and get a free coffee in starbucks and we tell everyone we know to do the same, they'll have to serve so much free coffee that the business becomes unsustainable and they crumble.
The Wild Drink Blog
www.tristanstephenson.com
Expobar Brewtus II, Vario
Tristan

Postby PhilT » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:46 pm

Alas, despite the understandable excitement about this, my trip home turned out to be later than Starbucks opening hours in West London, so everything was closed (and not even tea in the flask).
Last edited by PhilT on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
PhilT

Postby triptogenetica » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:33 pm

Well said, Sharpjd!

However - this Starbucks promotion did remind me to get out my travel mug. Which can only be a good thing.

Not because my usual approach is a paper cup, when i'm out. It isn't - my usual is just not to have coffee. (I blame TMC for raising my expectations).

But today, i finally swapped the bottle cage on my bike (attached to the steer tube :) ) for one which accommodates my travel mug. Effectively adding a cupholder just in front of the handlebars. Perfect!

Which is more than i can say for the Starbucks coffee. Tried the brewed stuff - they had a choice of two, so i went with the Guatemalan one that had been sitting in the vat for 9 minutes (51 remaining on the timer), rather than the one with 29 minutes remaining.
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby PhilT » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:16 am

sharpjd: Of course I concur. Although I don't think I'd be able to take a delicious fresh drink served in the convivial surroundings of an independent cafe, and pour it into a flask for consumption 40 minutes later on a train. Seems wrong.

Perhaps one of the fine roasters that frequent these parts could set something up with a cart on Clapham Junction station? That would fix it. Or better still, the entire train network. I can see it now: a gleaming new high speed rail network with hubs at Stafford and East London, distributing fresh coffee throughout the land.
PhilT

Postby lsjms » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:16 am

Still not as wrong as as Starbucks. I use my flask/mug combo as damage limitation, I'd rather have an hour old brew of the good stuff than risk the shops who don't know how old the beans are.

Love the train idea, perhaps they could tender for the motorway services too.
lsjms

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:30 pm

The Cherwell Valley Services burned down today ........ I blame the coffee!
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby PhilT » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:29 am

Blimey, that's a shame.

My week ended better with a fine lunch at Kaffeine on Friday, and picked up a bag of Square Mile Spring Espresso for the weekend. No flasks involved.

Phil
PhilT

Return to Places to drink coffee