north staffs and south cheshire

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

north staffs and south cheshire

Postby Babygazzer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:44 am

Any one know of any establishments in this area lived here for many years but still sruggling to find a brew outside of the chains
Gaz
Babygazzer

Postby Babygazzer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:36 pm

Getting desperate grinders being replaced hopefully need coffee
Gaz
Babygazzer

Postby Ed » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:47 am

Cafe Davide - now called David's Brasserie at Trentham Estates is the best I have found round here after many years of searching.

The Lounge on Stone High Street is not too bad but variable.

Where in North Staffs are you based? Here in Cheadle there is Moshi Coffee which is a franchise started by a Cheadle resident using ex-Costa refurb machines and furniture. They are getting better. There is another Moshi inside DK Motorcycles in Newcastle!!
Ed

Postby Babygazzer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:50 pm

Ed wrote:Cafe Davide - now called David's Brasserie at Trentham Estates is the best I have found round here after many years of searching.

The Lounge on Stone High Street is not too bad but variable.

Where in North Staffs are you based? Here in Cheadle there is Moshi Coffee which is a franchise started by a Cheadle resident using ex-Costa refurb machines and furniture. They are getting better. There is another Moshi inside DK Motorcycles in Newcastle!!

Cheers Ed I heard Davide's was a bit hit and miss suprising as they use Hasbeans coffee
I am based in Biddulph so may have a trip down to Cheadle I presume you mean the proper Cheadle not Cheadle Hulme
Gaz
Babygazzer

Postby Ed » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:31 pm

If you fancy a trip out try the Apple Tree at Barton Marina (Barton Under Needwood). That featured in a top ten that was reported on this site.

http://toomuchcoffee.co.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=8127

Usually a good cup but slow when busy, at least it was today. Cakes look fantastic!!

http://www.bartonmarina.co.uk/p3_2_1.htm

I feel Moshi is going for an atmosphere rather than excellence in coffee. It's the best of the bunch in Cheadle but that isn't saying much. Coffee quality depends on who is making it.

http://www.moshicoffee.co.uk/

I have only ever experienced one bad drink from Cafe Davide/David's Brasserie and fortunately it was my friend's drink not mine!!

http://www.cafe-davide.co.uk/

(I worked in Biddulph for eight years.)
Ed

Postby Babygazzer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:27 pm

Thanks Ed
May call at the marina next time I'm in Notts, but cafe david sic looks like having a visit in the near future
Gaz
Shortly Fracino Cherub, Miss Silvia (awaiting repair),Macap M5 grinder, Chemex, Aeropress, Hario kettle and drip filter,
Lots of Hasbean coffee
Babygazzer

Postby Ed » Thu May 06, 2010 7:06 pm

On reflection, if you are up for a ride out then Altrincham or Stockport aren't all that far from your end of the Potteries so how about one of the branches of Rhode Island Coffee
http://www.rhodeislandcoffee.co.uk/shops.html?

I have only been to the Bolton branch but that was good enough.
Ed

Postby Babygazzer » Thu May 06, 2010 9:27 pm

Cheers Ed
tend to head out that way more often so may give them a try
Gaz
Shortly Fracino Cherub, Miss Silvia (awaiting repair),Macap M5 grinder, Chemex, Aeropress, Hario kettle and drip filter,
Lots of Hasbean coffee
Babygazzer

Postby RolandGlew » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Thanks from me too - quite a few there I didn't know about :)
3 Cup Chemex, Hario Syphon, French Press, 5 Ibrik, Stove Top/Moka Pot, Pour Over, Hario V60, Kalita Wave, Kantans, AeroPress, Vario Grinder, Porlex hand grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder Missing Handle :P
RolandGlew

Postby Ed » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Today I have found Mojo Cafe which is the kiosk in the courtyard at the Greenway Bank visitor centre.

There is a Fracino two group lever machine which is heated by gas and they use Limini coffee. Best of all the guy who runs it really cares. It's his mission to bring real coffee to Stoke!!

Only open at weekends usually but also Wednesdays during school holidays.
Ed

Postby dr.chris » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:33 am

Just noticed this thread. As the area it covers sneaks into my current territory I'd add in Coffeefix in Gatley (as recommended to me here on TMC), which is bang inbetween Cheedle and Stockport. Very much the real deal.

I'll give Rhode Island a try. Its not that far away from work but didnt look that promising from the outside.
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby Ed » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:16 pm

Make sure you have the right Cheadle there dr. Chris. I live in Cheadle, North Staffs. Near Alton Towers :-) I have often fallen foul of that one.
Ed

Re: north staffs and south cheshire

Postby RolandGlew » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:29 am

Totally biased here, but we (Has Bean) supply a shop in Hanley now - (tsp) , on Piccadilly, just up from the museum. They've done a great job of refitting the shop, and make delicious cakes as well as tasty coffee and being lovely people, so do stick your head in if you find yourselves in Stoke-on-Trent.

There's also a shop in Leek using Monmouth coffee now - Spout. Haven't got round to a coffee there yet, but can say very striking decor! There's a great beer shop (Leek Bottle Lab) upstairs as well :D

Anyone with other suggestions for Stoke/North Staffordshire I'd love to hear them!
3 Cup Chemex, Hario Syphon, French Press, 5 Ibrik, Stove Top/Moka Pot, Pour Over, Hario V60, Kalita Wave, Kantans, AeroPress, Vario Grinder, Porlex hand grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder Missing Handle :P
RolandGlew

Postby Ed » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:10 pm

Thanks for the tip Roland.

Dropped in to TSP today and first impressions are very favourable. Staff are very pleasant and they certainly seem to care about their coffee making. Food looks good but I didn't sample any today.

I will go again (picked up a loyalty card). Recommended on first impressions.
Ed

Postby Ed » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:36 pm

After an extensive programme of testing over Summer can I recommend two more outlets in the North Staffs area?

They are The Cottage Kitchen Country Cafe on the A523 Leek to Ashbourne road at Winkhill and the Denstone Hall Farm Shop and Cafe, Main Road, Denstone. Both are within easy striking distance of Alton Towers. Google them for more info.
Ed

Return to Places to drink coffee