London's must-see for coffee geek

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

London's must-see for coffee geek

Postby Rujir » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:07 pm

Hi guys, I'm going to London for a week. It's a bussiness trip but I believe I will find some time for my biggest passion. So can you give me some hints where to go for a delicious coffee? You know, the musts when I want to taste the best coffees of London?

And also some tips for the shops, where I could buy some coffee accessories (Aeropress, Bodum stuff, etc.) would be nice.

Many thanks!
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." Abraham Lincoln
Rujir

RE: London

Postby bruceb » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Rujir, you probably will want to do a search of the archives. There are many references there to the good, the bad and the ugly in London.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: London

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:52 pm

bruceb wrote:There are many references there to the good, the bad and the ugly in London.

Hey, that is mean Bruce, I no longer live there :P

My current hit list (not really in any order):
Espresso Room
Kaffeine
Dose
Gwil's places
Flatwhite or MilkBar (I prefer the latter)
The new Taylor St (for the brewed, I'm not a fan of their current espresso blend)
Fernandez & Wells
Taste of Bitter Love or is it Bitter Taste of Love or Love Bitter Tastes (I can never remember :lol:)
Monmouth Borough Market (for brewed)
All listed on the good coffee google map along with less desirable places.

Don't _think_ I've forgotten any of my faves... sorry to anyone if I have.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

RE: Re: RE: London

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:37 pm

I'd certainly agree with the list above, they are all excellent places.

I bought my Aeropress and a porlex grinder in Dose and was given a fantastic demo of both before commiting to purchase. As far as I'm aware they are the only place on the above list and maybe in London selling these from a physical location so definatley head over to Dose for them and a great coffee.

I'd have to say don't just limit yourself to the pour over at Monmouth as they are capable of making a really great Espresso too. Borough Market is also a great place to wander around if you love the sights and smells of a food market.

Definitely head over to Prufrock at Present, everytime I've been I've had wonderful Espresso with excellent, attentive and personal service. It's actually at the front of a clothes shop so bear that in mind when you are trying to find it.

I can never walk past Fernandez & Wells on Beak street without popping in, there food and espresso are both wonderful.

Last time I was in Bitter Taste of Love I had a really beautiful Yirgacheffe made in the french press which is so unusual for London.

The scrambled eggs at Milk Bar and the coffee of course are both sensational, so it is a great place for a lazy cooked breakfast. Get there early if you want a bit of space to yourself.

Hope you enjoy your trip!
Chris

RE: Re: RE: London

Postby Chris » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:51 am

I just thought that most of the places above are East London and Central London. I'd add Tina We Salute You to that list of you are in North London and Exchange Coffee Stall in Lewisham if you are in the South East. Both really great places.

For something a bit different you could also try Caravan in Exmouth Market which is a restaurant/ roastery/bar/coffee bar. Great place for dinner and brunch.

Oh and it's Taste of Bitter Love :oops: Sorry, I always get confused too.

Cheers
Chris

Postby Rujir » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:27 am

Many thanks, guys! You're perfect! I'm really looking forward to my trip. And one more question - is there any place in London, where they actually sell the coffee beans from SQM? Or would it be easier to just order them to my hotel online? Thanks again.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." Abraham Lincoln
Rujir

Postby IanD » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:43 am

Milk Bar, Flat White and Dose sell SQM beans. When I was in there a couple of weeks ago Dose also had some of Hasbean's range as well for sale. I think they were using a diffferent bean to that used for espresso, if an Aeropress coffee was ordered.
IanD

Postby Chris » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:53 am

Take a look at this list, if the location has an * next to it they will sell SQM. http://www.squaremileblog.com/where-to-drink-our-coffee

As well as Dose you can get Hasbean at The Espresso Room too. Great little place with a super friendly owner.
Chris

Return to Places to drink coffee