Long Black - but what's in the cup?

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Long Black - but what's in the cup?

Postby Jasonscheltus » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:33 am

I heard about a new place in the UK called Long Black from a promotional video - http://www.slayerespresso.com/2010/03/31/slayer-videos/

"It'll have equipment you've never seen before" - but what's in the cup!

Is this the long awaited arrival of Allpress in London, or is it someone else?

And also, how is it that this promotional video is the first I've heard of it??? C'mon! We're heading over to London for the WBC very soon and we need to know ALL the places to check out!
Jasonscheltus

RE: Long Black - but what

Postby kingseven » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:32 am

I don't think this is Allpress. Long Black popped up on twitter a few months ago, but I don't know if they've got a location or anything yet.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

re

Postby dsc » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi guys,

yeah noticed that yesterday as well on Slayer's website. The guy that talks about the cafe is sitting in some kind of cafe which I thought is Long black, anyone knows where that is?

Is the equipment really going to affect sales? I doubt more than 1% of people are actually interested in what makes the coffee. I heard that the Slayer can produce a very good beverage, but will the avarage consumer really notice the difference?

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Re: re

Postby bruceb » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:56 pm

dsc wrote:but will the average consumer really notice the difference?

Tom, this is unfortunately a moot point. Most consumers don't seem to be able to tell coffee from dishwater. Last week I walked past a very busy "coffee bar" with a long line going out the door and I noticed that the La Marzocco Linea was torn apart, apparently waiting for parts. I tried to figure out what they were using as a backup machine and then I saw that the girl was stirring instant powder into hot water, squirting some kind of milk foam out of a pressure can and serving it as cappuccinos. I waited around for at least 15 minutes and in that time not one of the 12 customers complained or even asked about it. Slayer or Slobber, it's all the same to most folks.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby JulieJayne » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:15 pm

And the machine doesn't always make that much difference, I was in Utrecht recently, and the "Australian Ice" kiosk, also serves coffee, they have a La Marzocco Linea, and I thought it might be worth trying.

Portafilter not cleaned, and the espresso took a full 9 seconds to pour, or rather to gush around about 150ml into the cup. After I stopped laughing and tried a sip, it was confirmed as tasteless ditch water and consigned to the nearest waste bin.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby espressomattic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:10 am

Don't hold your breath for allpress. Not all they crack themselves up to be really. They refused another member a SO Short black a while ago because SO's are not for espresso....anyway, Allpress are a big company and the coffee is average at best.
espressomattic

Postby lsjms » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:52 am

I was chatting with a barista about a new combined roaster/cafe opening somewhere in North of the river, I forget the details/gossip but it sounds like they know what they are up to if this is the same lot. I think they have been touting for UKBC baristi.

I would hope that it would be hard to stumble upon Slayer ownership, at least until there is a glut of them on ebay. Who knows what goes on in the heads of cafe owners though. If you find yourself at the Excel centre there is a cafe in the atrium with a Mistral. Never seen one before, wish I had only looked!

"Machinery you have never seen before"

I say, don't you know who your talking to?
lsjms

Postby smoocher » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:22 pm

HAVE I DIED AND WOKEN UP IN AUSTRALIA?????????????????
smoocher

Postby anette » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:16 pm

anette

Postby Bombcup » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:28 pm

Swish marketing, someone knows who that guy is surely? Looks like the type of company who would make good use of such extravagant kit, don't think there's much naysay needed in this case.
Bombcup

Return to Places to drink coffee