Stumptown goes Amsterdam

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Stumptown goes Amsterdam

Postby HarmDommisse » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:28 am

Stumptown Coffee Roasters is setting up shop in Amsterdam. Or, to be specific, a pop-up shop, which will open on May 1. Duane Sorensen, the owner of Stumptown Coffee Roasters, said he was approached by Sid Lee, a Montreal-based creative agency with a branch in Amsterdam that happened to have a spare La Marzocco espresso machine kicking around in a little-used storefront. Sorensen flew to Amsterdam with seven Chemex coffee brewers and some beans; he returned with the keys to a shop that’s his through the end of July.

The coffee bar will be at 101 Albert Cuypstraat, with beans brought in from the roaster in Red Hook, Brooklyn (which was originally named Roode Hoek, a village founded by the Dutch in the 1630s), and a staff made up of stateside Stumptown baristas. The Moment posed a few questions to the noted coffee roaster.

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2010 ... amsterdam/
ThuisBarista.nl what else?
VBM Domobar RVS - Brasilia Club - Cona model D - Technivorm KBG741 - Aeropress - La San Marco SM90
In the grinder: Empty,
HarmDommisse

RE: Stumptown goes Amsterdam

Postby bruceb » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:45 pm

Quote from the interview: "...I’ve tried to find good coffee, and it’s been challenging. It’s way underdeveloped compared to the U.S., or even London or Scandinavia."

I find that hilarious coming from a big-time roaster. As if the US had good coffee in general. Outside of half a dozen cities in the States you can get nothing but a mixture of mud and dishwater. "...or even London or Scandinavia, indeed!" Long live TMC! 8)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Jaanus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Stomping on the toes of each and every decent home-barista there is in UK and/or Scandinavia.
And there are few more than one could count on two hands fingers, i`d say
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Postby Aadje » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:08 pm

But the US is the best country in the world . . . we all know that . . . :roll:
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Re: RE: Stumptown goes Amsterdam

Postby bruceb » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:19 pm

Aadje wrote:But the US is the best country in the world . . . we all know that . . . :roll:

I know, I know! I can't imagine what caused me to leave it. Image

Edit: At the same time, I should note that it's good that someone with coffee know-how comes to Amsterdam. I had a difficult time finding anything better than average the last time I was there. I even got served Douwe Egbert's Inst*nt for breakfast! Image
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Re: RE: Stumptown goes Amsterdam

Postby dsc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:17 am

Hi guys,

well considering how big the US is, the amount of good cafes is a drop in the ocean, perhaps even worse than London/UK or Scandinavia.

I even got served Douwe Egbert's

What's wrong with that? I heard they do some kick-ass blends ;) maybe not as good as Maxwell House, but still in my favourite top 5 ;)

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Re: RE: Re: RE: Stumptown goes Amsterdam

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:44 am

dsc wrote:...but still in my favourite top 5 ;)

Wow! I've never heard anyone say (admit) that they have 5 favourite inst*nts. :shock: :lol:
bruceb

Postby Bombcup » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:17 am

Oh Lordy... Stumptown cap chased down by a chocomel, in Amsterdam. Heaven. *books flight*
Bombcup

Postby Chris » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this, sounds great to me!
Chris

Stumptow loves La Marzocco

Postby Henkespresso » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:12 am

We installed through Alleborg BV a BRANDNEW La Marzocco Mistral completed with a Mazzer Major Electronic.

This machine is sponsered by ESW and Alleborgh, GOOD LUCK GUYS from make it the Stumptown way,..................We only hope that Liz from NYC with make some shots aso
Kees van der Westen Speedster, Mahlkonig K 30 Vario Piano black Polished, Gene Roaster, and 35 Vintage espressomachines, Faema, Gaggia, KvdW, Eureka, La Cimbali, Cosmos, La Marzocco, Rancilio etc.
Henkespresso

RE: Stumptow loves La Marzocco

Postby HarmDommisse » Sat May 08, 2010 9:18 pm

There open allmost a week now. Nice people and coffee!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49295244@N ... 995761138/
ThuisBarista.nl what else?
VBM Domobar RVS - Brasilia Club - Cona model D - Technivorm KBG741 - Aeropress - La San Marco SM90
In the grinder: Empty,
HarmDommisse

RE: Stumptow loves La Marzocco

Postby JulieJayne » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:06 pm

Nice people, okay coffee, nice latte art. But the music was too LOUD. No chance therefore to really talk about the coffee.

Screaming Beans in Hartenstraat was much better.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Return to Places to drink coffee