Ok, went to Brandmeester in Amsterdam and the verdict is...

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Ok, went to Brandmeester in Amsterdam and the verdict is...

Postby luca » Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:30 pm

CRAP.

Ok, a bit harsh maybe but if you have (or pretend you have) a reputation, you better live up to it. Otherwise that's what you get.

I've been there twice, just because of its reputation and because it's so difficult to find a proper espresso in Amsterdam (I have my favourite espresso spot, but other than that, it's really mission impossible).
The first time the espresso was ok, let's say a 7 out of 10: not too liquid, but not as creamy and thick as I expected. Crema was a bit darker than the usual pale crema-wannabe that they serve you in all the Illy-sponsored bars in amsterdam (by the way, the problem is not Illy - the problem is that nobody knows how to make a good espresso out of it, starting from the grinding).
The second time, this morning, it was one of the girls who made the espresso for me and the result was a bit like the girl: bland and with no personality.
Maybe the place has a reputation because they roast their coffee, but that's phase 1 of a good espresso. there's a long road from roasting to the cup. and sorry Brandmeester, but it's not there yet.

The Unsatisfied Italian.
luca

Postby jumper » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:48 pm

i totally agree with you
i usually go to victor's espresso in haarlem it's not really that far from amstardam and you really get a great espresso there
mark
jumper

Postby edraket » Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:43 pm

I have my favourite espresso spot, but other than that, it's really mission impossible.

I'd love to know where that is. I don't know amsterdam that well but I have to go there for exhibitions and stuff sometimes.
- Rancilio Silvia -
- Mazzer Super Jolly -
- Tristar popper, Unmodified except for some extra holes. -
- Bodum presspots -
edraket

Postby Beanie » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:16 am

I'd love to know where that is

Hi edraket,

I believe it's on the Kruisstraat. From Haarlem Central (train) station, walk towards the (shopping) centre, after the canal. If you drive & are lucky, you might be able to park right outside it. Otherwise, might be easiest to park at the station and walk down.

Haarlem's a really nice place anyway, so a walk-around should be quite pleasant - definitely one of my most favourite places to go shopping!! :twisted: I'd rather be in Haarlem than Amsterdam - atmosphere-wise :)
Beanie

Postby Beanie » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:22 am

One more thing - Haarlem is just west of Amsterdam. Depending on where in AMS you are, could be a mere 10-15 minutes away. See http://www.routenet.nl/ (English on the top right) for driving instructions.
Beanie

Postby edraket » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:53 am

Thanks Believer. Yeah.. haarlem is a nice place. I might stop by there and see next time I'm in the area.
- Rancilio Silvia -
- Mazzer Super Jolly -
- Tristar popper, Unmodified except for some extra holes. -
- Bodum presspots -
edraket

Postby Sunnyfield » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:26 am

Hmmm... I haven't been to Brandmeesters for more than a year, but they used to pull some very nice ristretto's (and not espresso). Thick dark-red crema and only a little bit of bitterness. Sorry to hear it is no longer living up to its reputation!
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

my favourite espresso spot in amsterdam

Postby luca » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:02 pm

edraket wrote:
I have my favourite espresso spot, but other than that, it's really mission impossible.

I'd love to know where that is. I don't know amsterdam that well but I have to go there for exhibitions and stuff sometimes.

it's Café De Lelie on the Leliegracht. can't remember the number, but it's easy to find, almost at the corner between Leliegracht and prinsengracht in the jordaan area.
say that you're there for the coffee, ask for a ristretto and you'll be in paradise :)

the coffee there is still my reference when trying to get a perfect shot with my machine at home.
luca

Postby Antonio » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:42 pm

See if you can agree on Antonio's Espresso. We serve the best in town according to the crowd.
Antonio

Postby huub » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:52 pm

antonios ? wheres that? in amsterdam? whereabouts?
must try....
excellent, smithers...

Isomac Itala, waterfilter, some shiny grinder that works pretty well, but has no brand I think.
huub

Return to Places to drink coffee