Where to go in Glasgow?

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Where to go in Glasgow?

Postby qwerty69 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:13 pm

Any thoughts for places to get great coffee in Glasgow?

My personal favourite at the moment is Tinderbox on Ingram Street.

I've also been in Berits and Brown a number of times but that's more about the food and vibe than the coffee.

Any thoughts on other places to try?
qwerty69

Postby qwerty69 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:21 pm

I'm starting to feel that I live in a wasteland.

Having said that I was in the Tapa Bakehouse last Friday and bought some really fresh decaf beans which taste great. Shame about the decaf espresso I had when I was there though.
qwerty69

Postby radish » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:41 pm

Yeah, Glasgow isn't great. Tinderbox have nice interiors - it's just a shame about the char-grilled espresso roasts.
Silvia+PID, Mazzer Major, Rocky, Chemex, Aeropress and Gene Cafe.
radish

Postby qwerty69 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:57 pm

One more for the list, Cafezique on Hyndland Street. I had a rather nice Cappaccino and the food was good too.

Something was quite familiar though and it wasn't till we were leaving that I noticed that the coffee was by Matthew Algie. Now I quite like Matthew Algies coffee but do we only have one roaster in the city?
Izzo Vivi : Mazzer Super Jolly (cleaned with Puly Grind) : Aeropress : Francis Francis X5 (going back in to storage) : Iberital MC2 (broken)
qwerty69

New cafe coming soon? May 2010??

Postby Donnie » Wed May 05, 2010 8:44 am

I believe that Artisanroast are coming to Gibson Street in Glasgow. Don't know when they intend to open though. I can recommend their Edinburgh shop, highly. It's quite rustic, with fantastic quality coffee.
Donnie

Postby Sharpjd » Thu May 06, 2010 7:51 am

I'm unaware of anywhere serving noteworthy coffee in Glasgow right now. Unfortunately no coffee movement seems to have kicked in in my home city yet. As mentioned Artisan Roast are opening on Gibson St...probably later in May. They have a great barista manager lined up so I'm very confident.
Sharpjd

Postby Donnie » Thu May 06, 2010 8:59 am

Hope Artisan is a success. I too, like QUERTY69 had a fairly middlin' coffee in Tapa Bakehouse and the BSCA beans I bought were disappointing. I presumed it was me and my lack of Barista skill. I'll give it another try before writing them off. I have had decent coffee in Tinderbox in Ingram Street and always head there if close by. Berit and Brown, okay too. Sarti espresso lovely, although not sure what beans they use. Still looking for local roasters.
Donnie

Postby radish » Thu May 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Artisan will be roasting from their Gibson St location - should be good :wink:
Silvia+PID, Mazzer Major, Rocky, Chemex, Aeropress and Gene Cafe.
radish

Postby Donnie » Thu May 13, 2010 9:47 am

Artisan is up and running. Must visit soon, tomorrow. Do they sell green beans? Anyone know?? I'll ask tomorrow.
Donnie

Postby CakeBoy » Sat May 15, 2010 9:11 am

Welcome to TMC Donnie :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Donnie » Sat May 15, 2010 11:23 am

Cheers CakeBoy.

Visited Artisan Roast yesterday. Fatima is coming to Gibson Street!
Donnie

Postby qwerty69 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:46 pm

Wish I'd known, I'd have gone there yesterday when I was off for my birthday. Tried Jelly Hill who I'm told have award winning coffee?!? Loved the vibe sitting in the sun.

Not to worry I'm also off tomorrow and Monday. :-)))
Izzo Vivi : Mazzer Super Jolly (cleaned with Puly Grind) : Aeropress : Francis Francis X5 (going back in to storage) : Iberital MC2 (broken)
qwerty69

Postby qwerty69 » Fri May 28, 2010 4:41 pm

Managed to make it to Artisan today. Dbl Espresso was fantastic as was the flat white I had to follow.

Laura had two Lattes which she also thoroughly enjoyed, she did say they could have been a little warmer though.

Will most definitely be back.
qwerty69

Postby qwerty69 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:56 am

Went back to Artisan a couple of weeks ago and again (I thought) the coffee was excellent, however...

...last time, Laura thought the coffee was a little cool (for her taste) so this time remembered to ask for her Latte a bit warmer to be told that unfortunately that would not be possible as it'd ruin the flavour profile in the cup!

Now I can fully appreciate this but Laura was very annoyed and even after explaining that she wasn't too concerned and that her main concern was that her coffee was hot enough was told that all they would do was attempt to warm the cup.

Needless to say she still didn't think it was warm enough. Ah well, next time I go I'll be able to have a little "me time" :D
qwerty69

Postby qwerty69 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:03 pm

Also went to Offshore (on Gibson Street) which I've walked past a number of times but never ventured in.

Great coffee, great atmosphere. Will definitely be back.
qwerty69

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee