The Guardian, Ten of the best UK coffee shops.

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

The Guardian, Ten of the best UK coffee shops.

Postby Hugo » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:04 pm

Thanks to Stu Archer for spotting this in the Guardian....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/s ... k?page=all

Great to see so many TMC'ers in there.... might explain the odd mix of customers we had today!
http://www.relishfoodanddrink.co.uk
Relish Food & Drink
Foundry Court
Wadebridge
Cornwall
Hugo

RE: The Guardian, Ten of the best UK coffee shops.

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:08 pm

That is so cool. Congrats to everyone concerned :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:24 pm

Congratulations, to be sure! BTW, where's Barry Bazbean? I haven't seen him around here for ages. :(
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby smoocher » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:27 pm

some idiot wrote:Hmm. I am indifferent to most coffee I've had in London. Segafreddo or whatever it's called in Marylebone is good, as is this little Portuguese cafe near Victoria on a street that begins with B. Yummy espresso for a pound. Scooterworks on Lower Marsh is a wonderful, wonderful place with lovely staff and gorgeous furniture and I go there all the time but the coffee, while fine, barely registers. And I don't get the enthusiasm for Fernandez & Wells and Flatwhite or whatever. Nice ambience, baristas with funny accents, and high prices which make you feel like you ought to be getting something, and the coffee is OK but why oh why do they serve it not hot?
Monmouth, also just so so. I mean, better than starbucks, sure, but not as good as my nespresso machine at home.

probably one of the better comments. it seems as though hugo will be out on his ear pretty soon as well because BEER IS BETTER VALUE THAN COFFEE. any article that name drops good shops to a large audience is always good in my opinion, and it even seems like some people in the comments page are 'getting it' too.
smoocher

Re: RE: The Guardian, Ten of the best UK coffee shops.

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:42 pm

bruceb wrote:Congratulations, to be sure! BTW, where's Barry Bazbean? I haven't seen him around here for ages. :(

PM'ed him to check all was well last week but not heard back yet. Prolly busy with R3 :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: The Guardian, Ten of the best UK coffee shops.

Postby Jem_Bean » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:56 am

Congrats to Richard at Coffee Aroma. Was in there earlier this year and had a great chemex.

keep up the good work.

J
Jem_Bean

RE: Re: RE: The Guardian, Ten of the best UK coffee shops.

Postby Ed » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:11 am

Went to the Apple Tree (Number 8 on the list) yesterday on the strength of this.

Coffee (cappucino) was good but for me it lacked strength on the aftertaste. I am not saying it will put me off going again because it is still amongst the best I have tasted within an hour's drive.

The atmosphere was good with dark comforatble furniture in a large room in what I think is a renovated industrial property (though it could all have been built from scratch - I couldn't tell). Tall windows give a great view of the narrow boats moored in the marina itself.

Service was friendly and the quality of coffee uniform no matter which of the five or so staff drew it from a three group Spaziale (the model of which I could not discern and I am not that well practiced to identify it by sight). Even my wife complimented her americano - praise indeed. It was obvious from just a short visit that there were many returning customers.

There is a small deli counter and menu which we did not try but I did weaken and come home with 140g of Roquefort for just over £4.00!!

Situated just off the A38, the whole marina area is very pleasant. It has a big pub, a Thai restaurant and a few high quality shops. It still feels new and ready for some more development.

Excellent place. Give it a try! I will go back.

Ed

Look here: http://www.bartonmarina.co.uk/p3_2_1.htm

Edit

To be fair I have been twice since I wrote the above and could not make the same criticism of the taste of the coffee on either occasion.

E
Ed

Return to Places to drink coffee