So I was in Vancouver... (part 1)

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

So I was in Vancouver... (part 1)

Postby scook94 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:54 am

As I posted elsewhere we're just back from a mini trip to Canada - 3 days in Toronto then over to Banff for 3 days, the Rocky Mountaineer train from there to Vancouver for another 3.

It really was an amazing trip and we had some totally great experiences, but part of the motivation for the trip was to get to some of those coffee shops we hear so much about!

I had short listed 5 that I really wanted to visit, but found that one (Bump N Grind) was just too far out of our way. Fortunately another very good coffee shop was right next to our hotel so that sort of made up for it.

Our first coffee stop was to JJ Bean on Davie Street, this was right next to our hotel. I tend to order a large latte with extra shot and then go back up for a single espresso when I visit a new coffee shop, but we arrived too late for me to fit in the espresso before they shut. The latte was pretty good though, milk was textured to perfection and this was the first decent coffee of the trip.

The next morning I dragged Carol to Wicked Cafe on Hornby Street. This is an Intelligentsia supplied shop and it didn't disappoint (although I will admit I am a bit of an Intelli fanboy!). I got talking to the barista who turned out to be the "legendary" Arthur Wynne. This was one of the highlights of the coffee crawl, he is a genuinely great guy. Pretty soon I was clutching an espresso cup he'd given me as a souvenir and after mentioning Steve Leighton's name (in relation to his recent whisky crawl round Scotland) I was also clutching 2 bags of Black Cat as well as another 2 bags of SO coffee, to be split between myself and Steve). Awesome! Of course I should have visited the shop late in the afternoon so that I didn't have to carry all those freebies around Vancouver sightseeing!!!

Anyway, needless to say thanks Arthur! The coffee was pretty decent too! :lol:

Next up was Caffe Artigiano on W Hastings St. This is Sammy Piccolo's shop, it was far busier, being in a more commercial/office type part of town so didn't get much chance to chat with the baristas other than to briefly chat about the array of trophies behind the counter.

The coffee here was good too, but not the best of the trip. As you can see by the picture of the latte, the milk could have been textured better...

Last edited by scook94 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

So I was in Vancouver... (part 2)

Postby scook94 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:12 am

Next day we ventured out to Kitsilano where we first stopped at 49th Parallel Cafe. They seem to be the major roaster in Vancouver and supply other shops including The Elysian Room.

49th was a lovely cafe, great decor and lots of amazing coffee equipment as well as a Kees van der Weston Mirage. The coffee was as good as Wicked Cafe and the espresso very well presented. Again they were very busy, so no chats with the baristas.

A couple of blocks away was The Elysian Room, so we headed there next. This was quite a small shop and somewhat out of the way, but turned out to be perhaps the best in terms of coffee of the whole trip. They use 49th to roast for them but have their own blend and I must say it was (to my humble palette) significantly tastier that 49th's own.

All in all it was great trip and some great coffee to be had at the end of it. Wicked Cafe and Elysian Room being my 2 favourites. We almost had a good coffee experience in Toronto after we stumbled across a shop using the little beauty below, but unfortunately they either weren't using good beans or they didn't know how to use the machine (or both), shame really...

So, running out of places to drag Carol for coffee related holidays, any suggestions? :wink:

scook94

RE: So I was in Vancouver... (part 2)

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:47 am

Great photos Steve, thanks so much for a brilliant write-up. I so totally miss Canada and remember well hearing the trans-Canada train whilst out and about in the wilderness many years ago.

It looks like you had some lovely coffee out there. It also seems that The Leighton has become an international coffee love icon at the very least :)

Did you get into any coffee shops in Toronto? Our own Beanie can be found most days at Dark Horse on Queen St E usually pulling Intelli.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: So I was in Vancouver... (part 2)

Postby smoocher » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:31 am

49th looks fucking legit. whole thing sounds amazing, great thread.
smoocher

Postby radish » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:39 am

Great stuff - love those 49th cups and the paint job on the Synesso - is that a custom job or a factory option?

The new Dark Horse cafe looked incredible in the photos posted a while back - might be worth a visit in addition to the original location.
Silvia+PID, Mazzer Major, Rocky, Chemex, Aeropress and Gene Cafe.
radish

Re: RE: So I was in Vancouver... (part 2)

Postby scook94 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:40 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Great photos Steve, thanks so much for a brilliant write-up. I so totally miss Canada and remember well hearing the trans-Canada train whilst out and about in the wilderness many years ago.

It looks like you had some lovely coffee out there. It also seems that The Leighton has become an international coffee love icon at the very least :)

Did you get into any coffee shops in Toronto? Our own Beanie can be found most days at Dark Horse on Queen St E usually pulling Intelli.

I didn't get to any "decent" shops in Toronto, the picture of the Faema was from a shop over in Spadina Ave. but I forget the name... The Dark Horse would have been pretty close to where we were staying so it's a pity I didn't think to check in here about Toronto before I left. Having said that it might have taken me away from the Irish Embassy Pub in which I enjoyed a pint or two... :wink:
scook94

RE: Re: RE: So I was in Vancouver... (part 2)

Postby scook94 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:45 pm

Ah bugger! Just looked up the new Dark Horse Cafe and remember it being across the road from where the Faema was, I remember the logo and thinking they were trying to rip off Intelli's logo!

Oh well, so near.... :? :(
scook94

Postby kingseven » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:47 pm

Manic is a favourite spot of mine in Toronto.

The side panels on Elysian's machine were done in house - they have a car spray shop just up the road, and had a very orange mazzer for a while. I love Elysian - I really want to go back so I can go to their new store.

Glad you had an amazing time. I agree Arthur is awesome - I only went to the old Wicked - near Elysian - and was up so early that Stephen and I helped Arthur open up. And by help I mean got in the way, made a mess and drank too much coffee.

Agree that 49th's shop is great - though it is one of the more stylised places in Vancouver and I just prefer somewhere a little more homely - but that's just me. Want to go back to Vancouver - such a great town!

I am just so jealous of all the space those shops have!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby shm » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:18 pm

I really love Vancouver. It's where my coffee journey started really, in Artigiano's on Hornby street next to The (Fairmont) Vancouver Hotel. It's the first time I saw latte art and used to stand and watch the baristas working as I waited on our order to be served.

Great photos. Don't 49th parallel roasters supply Artigiano's?
stuff
shm

Postby Beanie » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:58 am

Oops...sorry I missed this thread before :( Erhm... we don't pull Intelli anymore...not for a while now. Every now and then, we pull an available single origin or guest blend instead of the usual two blends.

#1 just had it's 3rd b'day this past Wednesday :) It was also exactly 1 year and 8 months since I started there. I can't believe I didn't get myself fired well before that!!! :shock: Even scarier... I get to train the new staff @ #1 now!!!

Hmmm scook...visited one month later and you could've been @ the national championships!

Elysian Room (#1) is my fave Vancouver shop for sure...in terms of quality, service, and atmosphere. Unfortunately, I didn't get to visit the 49th cafe despite driving by it a dozen times last month :( But I did get to walk through the 49th roastery to drop off the grinder we used @ the competition to have it shipped back to Toronto!! :D

Some 'new' Toronto places to check out:
Sam James' Espresso Bar (Harbord/Clinton/Grace intersection uhm 'ish)
Blondies (Alex & Damien's place on Queen St West @ Brock)
Communal Mule (Dundas West ?)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby canta_brian » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:57 pm

Sorry to bump this old thread but I am off to Vancouver in the autumn and having spent far too much time in the UK trying to explain the coffee I want (explaining what to me is a flat white to your average UK barista is a joyless task in the main), could someone let me know what Canadians order to get those lovely looking flat white looking coffees??

Many thanks in advance.
canta_brian

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:38 pm

Flat white, fortunately. The decent indie places will all know what it is. Have a great trip you lucky thing :)

Never apologise, old treads are there to be used. It's nice when they get updates.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:27 am

I am in Vancouver right now, been to jj bean and 49th so far, both very good. But I went for espresso both times. 49th is really nice, I'm sure they will know how to make whatever you want
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

Postby canta_brian » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:30 pm

excellent. Starting to get properly excited. I have never been to the rockies before so looking forward to lots of good wildlife, scenery, food and of course coffee. Many thanks for the tips. I am planning my itinerary as I type.
canta_brian

Return to Places to drink coffee