Good Coffee In Leeds

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Good Coffee In Leeds

Postby col » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:16 am

I have a friend who lives in Leeds. Any recommendations for a decent cup up there?

col
Gaggia Classic Coffee (but already lusting after an Izzo Vivi). Iberital MC2. Coffee Been Knock Box. HD Metal tamper and mat. Motta 0.5 ltr jug. Where's it all going to end?
col

RE: Good Coffee In Leeds

Postby Hugo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:04 pm

'Opposite' Lou Henry's (2nd Place UKBC 2007?) places. There are two, the one opposite the University entrance and here ickle place in the Victorian Quarter....

http://www.myvillage.com/leeds/places/8 ... e/showMap/
http://www.relishfoodanddrink.co.uk
Relish Food & Drink
Foundry Court
Wadebridge
Cornwall
Hugo

Postby kingseven » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:24 pm

Definitely Lou's Opposite Cafe in the Victoria Quarter. (Yes I have slight bias, but it doesn't make the fact that Lou does awesome coffee any less true).
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Thiskey » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:40 pm

I wholeheartedly second the above (actually, third it). Apparently the Opposite stall in the Victoria Quarter is the only place outside London serving Square Mile (hence kingseven's bias).

Also there's a great little shack called Justbean, opposite the Corn Exchange.

http://www.cosycoffeeshops.co.uk/cgi-bi ... udeBlogs=1
Thiskey

Postby caf-fiene » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:22 pm

opposite 2 in the victoria quarter . Ignore jims bias it is awesome !the coffee is awesome espressso or fresh filter , good food , good service , awesome Lou . Go now !
caf-fiene

Postby col » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:47 pm

Many thanks for the tips folks! I'm asking on behalf on a friend who lives in Leeds who I'm sure has never tasted a real coffee. I'll let you know what she thinks.
Gaggia Classic Coffee (but already lusting after an Izzo Vivi). Iberital MC2. Coffee Been Knock Box. HD Metal tamper and mat. Motta 0.5 ltr jug. Where's it all going to end?
col

Postby Thiskey » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:33 am

Great, I hope she likes it! (I'm sure she will.)
Thiskey

Postby quoad » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:20 pm

AAAhhahhahah!

Fantastic!

I'm in Leeds for 3 days of research. I've brought up my Chemex and some luvverly fresh roast, presuming that I wasn't going to find owt worth the mention whilst up here.

Then... suddenly... walking through the Victoria quarter... I saw a sign. On a stall. Advertising SO coffee - can't remember if it was advertising SO filter, or SO espresso. I think the latter; but anyhows, enough to make me think 'hmm, this may not be your usual bogshite.' And... gosh... they had a Synesso behind the counter... Unlike the stall just down the way, which SEEMED to be advertising their own fresh-roast, put through a fully auto :(

So I hovered. And had a look at the menu. And the first thing that struck me was - cor, a place that's brave enough to offer filter! Not because they don't know what they're doing, and filter only requires stale-ground plus a filter machine; but because filter can be decent too! And... WHAT?! A menu of SO coffees, available for fresh-ground filter?! That's something you don't see every day! Well, tbh, it's something you don't see AT ALL in Cambridge.

Then I thought I'd really take a punt, and ask if he knew what was in the espresso blend. And he did!!! Couuntry of origin, farm name, crop year, and balance of the blend :D And then he pulled out a little label with 'Square Mile Winter Espresso Blend' on it, and I thought 'double ahhh! F***ing hell! Absolute bonus!"

HOWEVAH. Having put quite a bit of SQMWEB through my home machines, I opted for the El Salvador La Ilusion; cheaper than priced, as it's a no-longer-CoE bean. He didn't need to mention that, so fair play to him for charging what he should've done! Delighted to see a place offering BOTH HB and SQM n all :D

And the cup was a corker :) Darker and stronger than I'd usually brew - he said he aims for 2.5mins with 20-25g for a cup. That's not far off what I've got into the habit of using for a 3-5 cup Chemex. Which is - obv - quite a lot more coffee :D

Oh, and it was only after I'd ordered that I saw the '2nd place in NE England / Midlands UK Barista Championships heat' :)

All in all, a really really nice surprise, and an absolute bonus of an experience :) Lovely bloke behind the counter n all :) I'm not VERY based in Leeds over the next 3 days, but I reckon I'll try to give him another shot :)
quoad

Postby Jym » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:37 am

That's the Opposite Cafe's stall.. I drooled all over the synesso (sorry about that!). They have another one up near the university too if you dont mind the population of unwashed work dodgers ;)
Jym

Postby quoad » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:15 pm

Jym wrote:That's the Opposite Cafe's stall.. I drooled all over the synesso (sorry about that!). They have another one up near the university too if you dont mind the population of unwashed work dodgers ;)

Ent it a BEAUTIFUL machine?!?!

As for the unwashed work dodgers - given I was up there for a research visit (for my PhD), I don't think I should go there :D All the more so, given one of my lesser qualifications was from Leeds ;)
quoad

Postby Kaz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:04 pm

Glad I came across this. Am off, next week, to visit my daughter who's in her final year at Leeds Uni. Will certainly give this place a try - well, probably both of them. Thanks for the recommendation!

PS. I was at Leeds Uni ages ago - nothing like this then - only Ainsleys which, I see, is still in the same place!
Pavoni Europiccola | Bodum drip cafetiere | Neapolitan flip pots x 3 | French press x 2 | Mocha stove top | Swiss gold filter | Zass maunal grinder | Prima popper
Kaz

Postby quoad » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:16 am

Kaz wrote:Glad I came across this. Am off, next week, to visit my daughter who's in her final year at Leeds Uni. Will certainly give this place a try - well, probably both of them. Thanks for the recommendation!

PS. I was at Leeds Uni ages ago - nothing like this then - only Ainsleys which, I see, is still in the same place!

The chap in the Victoria Quarter (with the 2nd place in the NE / Midlands WBC heats award) said that the coffee in their other stall is not entirely the same as what they're selling in the Victoria Quarter. He mentioned Coopers... and I can't remember what else... I'd be tempted to recommend the VQ stall first :)
quoad

Postby Kaz » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:32 pm

Well, mission accomplished. Visited the stall in the VQ and had lovely coffee (Square Mile Espresso blend - I was shown the label) so thanks for the recommendation. The charming young barista is very proud of his Synesso machine. We also had a bit of a chat about lever machines and he said he’d visited Gwilym’s stall in London.
Pavoni Europiccola | Bodum drip cafetiere | Neapolitan flip pots x 3 | French press x 2 | Mocha stove top | Swiss gold filter | Zass maunal grinder | Prima popper
Kaz

Postby CarlFleischer » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:04 pm

Cheers for the Nice comments guys, i do believe i served the recents people to post on here!
:) come back soon!
Iberital Junior - Anfim Super Caimano - Hario 5-Cup Syphon - Aeropress - Ceramic Drippy - Chemex.
CarlFleischer

Postby psychomansam » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:22 pm

Just thought i'd post something as I had a great visit to Opposite last week. I pass through leeds for a week or so every few months but wasn't aware of them until now. Was looking forward to a visit when i heard they serve SQM but wasn't exactly sure what to expect

First off, as other people have mentioned, Carl is very friendly and since i caught him between the early rush and lunch, we had plenty of time to chat. He certainly knows his stuff, and loves his coffee. Really great to see someone passionate about their coffee (especially someone young as i don't know anyone else in their 20s and into coffee!)

The coffee is great. I picked up a bag of SQM to take home and ordered a ristretto - something i do to test baristas i'll admit, but he came up trumps serving me a very good short shot.

Next i went for a filter. It was well made, and not brewed too quickly. A quality hasbean coffee, possibly a Kenyan if i'm remembering right. Light, lemon acidic, good morning brew, but a mistake after my ristretto as the SQM had such a potent aftertaste and was a little overbearing. It was also brewed somewhat weaker than i'd have usually gone for but probably more to the publics liking...

Finally i went for a decaff capp, and i have to say the microfoam at least matched anything i had on a recent tour of some of londons finest - extremely silky!

This is a serious fine coffee venue and well worth a visit to test the Synesso, not to mention to pick up bags of SQM without the postage. Also only 10 mins walk from the train station so not bad if you're passing through. Definitely made my day!

Carl also recommended Grindsmiths in Manc to me, so i'll be stopping by on my way through picadilly on wednseday. Obv i should be checking TMC more as i'd have known about it already!
Bezzera BB105, Hario slim grinder, Hario filter, swissgold filter, aeropress, cafetieres, cold brewer, stovetops, lots of teas...

...and lots of love
:-)
psychomansam

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee