where not to drink coffee in Edinburgh

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

where not to drink coffee in Edinburgh

Postby shm » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:38 pm

I had forgotten how truley shit the coffee is in The Filmhouse bar. It's a wonder the trades description people haven't been round. I've seen more care put into a finger painting by a chimp. I asked for a cappucino and have been given a Quatermass experiment served in something the size of a wellington boot. I can't quite bring myself to drink it. This place is supposed to be sophisticated and hip and yet the food and drinks are utterly shit. I'll believe coffee culture has arrived when the decent places (or even the semi-decent places) stay open after 5pm. I'm afraid if I force myself to take even a sip I'll immediately and uncontrolably stab my eyeballs out with the sharp end of the teaspoon.
stuff
shm

RE: where not to drink coffee in Edinburgh

Postby Lynsey » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:37 pm

If you're that side of town, you should try Teatree Tea, on Bread st, and try some of their delicious loose leaf tea.

Lynsey

p.s. (or bring some of your own coffee with you in future...)
Super Jolly, Rober E, Mahlkonig Kenya

Rancilio Sylvia, La Marzocco Linea 2 Grp
Lynsey

RE: where not to drink coffee in Edinburgh

Postby shm » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:22 pm

You're right I should have brought a flask of my own. I was a bit harsh on them, their food is actually not bad, just a bit overpriced. Can you tell I've been reading Charlie Brooker?

I haven't heard of Teatree, I'll check it out.
stuff
shm

Postby mattlynch » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:33 pm

so you never drank it? did you take it back and explain what was wrong? we can't really expect the situation to get any better if we don't demand for better prepared coffee. it maybe a case of the barista not knowing better.

i stopped getting worked up about the lack of care towards coffee prep a long time ago. support the places who are trying and should they disappoint let them know. they want to improve and any criticism they receive i expect them to take on board.

first post. i do lurk. just a bit peeved that any post on edinburgh coffee here is sounding like we aren't going in the right direction. it won't happen overnight, it's going to take the places that are doing it well to continue and allowed to grow. others cafes who then see them, will hopefully follow suit.

it's poor overall but that is every city in the world bar a few.
mattlynch

Postby shm » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:53 pm

I agree with everything you say. There are good places but they don't stay open too late. I was trying to be a bit over the top for comedic effect.
I actually had one small sip and it tasted like warm milk.
stuff
shm

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:44 pm

Welcome to TMC Matt :)

Most cities do indeed struggle in general, though many do seem to have the odd gem or two - it's just finding them in the first place!
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: where not to drink coffee in Edinburgh

Postby DrTom » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:10 am

shm wrote:... I've seen more care put into a finger painting by a chimp...

shm wrote:... I'm afraid if I force myself to take even a sip I'll immediately and uncontrolably stab my eyeballs out with the sharp end of the teaspoon...

Awesome. I am a connoisseur of caustic/blistering reviews and I have to say, this one is up there. Have you ever thought about doing some product reviews for Amazon? 8)
DrTom

RE: Re: where not to drink coffee in Edinburgh

Postby shm » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:41 pm

Thanks Tom, if one person gets it, I'm happy.
stuff
shm

Postby mrkyle » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: opening late...

Artisan Roast are open until 7 or so, can't remember exactly.
They're on Broughton St.
mrkyle

Postby Thiskey » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:11 pm

The opposite of where not to drink coffee in Edinburgh (if that makes any sense) is Kilimanjaro - http://www.cosycoffeeshops.co.uk/2008/1 ... burgh.html

Best coffee I've found in the city. I think it stays open until 7. Luvly jubbly.
Thiskey

Postby shm » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:05 am

Artisan, Kilimanjaro and Wellington have all been mentioned on here at some point, sometimes several times and they are fantastic. However, they all close at 7pm you can't get a good cup after that.
stuff
shm

Return to Places to drink coffee