M1 Services Newport Pagnell (Northbound) - Coffee Primo

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

M1 Services Newport Pagnell (Northbound) - Coffee Primo

Postby Kaz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:13 pm

Stopped here for on our way up north last week. I ordered a latte and was amazed when it was served with a latte art rosetta on top (I was half expecting to get a coffee made with the usual indifference that one can get at service stations and topped with the usual big bubbles). I decided to sit where I could watch the barista at work. Before making each coffee he flushed the grouphead with hot water; beans were freshly ground straight into the portafilter; coffee levelled and tamped with a proper tamper and not the plastic plunger thingy on the side of many grinders; milk heated without the use of a temp gauge (impressed me anyway!); jug tapped on surface; lovely velvety microfoam achieved; latte art skilfully poured and presented with pride. Delicious! Despite the queue, the same level of care was applied to each cup made - and judging by customers’ smiles it was appreciated.

Before posting I did a search in this forum to see if Newport Pagnell was listed and discovered that one of the semi-finalists in the UKBC 2009 was Alex Redgate of Welcome Break, Northbound Newport Pagnell Services, in the Primo Lounge. Must have been him! The boy deserves a pay rise - I must contact their customer services.
Pavoni Europiccola | Bodum drip cafetiere | Neapolitan flip pots x 3 | French press x 2 | Mocha stove top | Swiss gold filter | Zass maunal grinder | Prima popper
Kaz

RE: M1 Services Newport Pagnell (Northbound) - Coffee Primo

Postby Hugo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:08 pm

Brilliant! I hope the queue had some returning customers...

Coffee Primo have invested a great deal in enthusing their baristas (both myself & James H have done stuff for them) and Alex seems to be their star performer. I'd be interested to see what he manages to squeeze out of their beans. Sadly I can't imagine getting to Newport Pagnell for a very long time!

I presume he'll compete again this year, second time around... one to keep an eye on?
http://www.relishfoodanddrink.co.uk
Relish Food & Drink
Foundry Court
Wadebridge
Cornwall
Hugo

Postby darrensandford » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:47 am

I had lumped all of these chains together into one pot of direness in my head. I will have to give Primo a try next time I am heading down the M1!
darrensandford

Postby leecb » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Just remember he is in the Coffee Primo on the North-bound side, but there's a bridge you can cross over on the return trip and the cafe is just at the bottom of the stairs.
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby awlred » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:10 pm

Oh my, I'm being talked about. This has created a lot of positive buzz within WB. Its nice to hear positives and was really surprisd when I saw a post on TMC. So yeah, thank you.

btw This has made my day :-)

I'm also a constant thorn in my senior managements side about progressing and moving away from the Green&White model so hopefully this will strengthen my argument...

Hugo: Yes I'm planning on entering UKBC again this year (Just got the beans I think I'm using today)
awlred

Postby Kaz » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:11 pm

awired wrote:This has created a lot of positive buzz within WB. Its nice to hear positives and was really surprisd when I saw a post on TMC. So yeah, thank you.

My pleasure. Hope you get your pay rise! BTW I received a very nice email from the WB site manager.
Pavoni Europiccola | Bodum drip cafetiere | Neapolitan flip pots x 3 | French press x 2 | Mocha stove top | Swiss gold filter | Zass maunal grinder | Prima popper
Kaz

Postby awlred » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:40 am

Well unfortunatly they're not gonna give me a payrise ;-)

But I'm actually leaving Welcome Break after 3 years. My last day is Monday 31st. Starting Wednesday I'm off to The Courtyard Brasserie in Olney, partial barista partial waitering work.
UKBC Semi-Finalist 2009
|Iberital MC2|Pavoni ZIP(Borked)|Wega Max 2.6|Bodum 8-cup cafetierre|Aero Press|Eva Solo Cafe|La Pavoni EuroPiccola EP|Ocaree TCA-5 Vacpot

My Blog: http://awlred.wordpress.com

Barista at Peel&Peel Independent Coffee, 22 St Micheal's Road, Northampton
awlred

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:32 pm

We'll change the link on the 'where to find' page on the 31st Alex, have you got a link? Good luck with your new venture. It's a sad day for M1 travellers.

Edit: Link on 'Where to find' thread amended.
Last edited by CakeBoy on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Hugo » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:45 pm

Best of luck in the new job Alex.... I hope you get good toys to play on and nice beans to squeeze.
http://www.relishfoodanddrink.co.uk
Relish Food & Drink
Foundry Court
Wadebridge
Cornwall
Hugo

Postby Steve » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:14 pm

Alex good luck with the job, good news for the courtyard is bad news for everyone else
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Bombcup » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:49 am

That's great news, I'm in Wellingborough, just down the road, I'm looking forward to popping in for coffee at the weekends.
Bombcup

Postby Kaz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Good luck with the new job! (but a shame as we we're driving up north again next week!) Anywhere else on M1 - north or southbound you can recommend?
Kaz

Postby awlred » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:36 am

I've warned my co-workers that I'll pop in and beat them with a portafilter if they don't keep standards up, so it should be safe to go to Newport again.

As for popping down the coffee they using at the moment makes me cry a little inside - its "Italian Roast" and comes in a 3KG bag. And it looks like it was roasted with a blowtorch. Steve I'll be ordering some Toba soon to give them to try, although I've only been there a few days so gimi a few weeks before I start telling them that they're wrong ;-)

For some reason the residents of Olney like their milk scalded. I baulk whenever I take over on the bar :-S If I can make a Servie do good coffee I can make this place huh?
UKBC Semi-Finalist 2009
|Iberital MC2|Pavoni ZIP(Borked)|Wega Max 2.6|Bodum 8-cup cafetierre|Aero Press|Eva Solo Cafe|La Pavoni EuroPiccola EP|Ocaree TCA-5 Vacpot

awlred

Postby awlred » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:37 am

Oh I'm also using a VERY familiar machine. A SanRemo Verona - I wonder where I've seen those before...
UKBC Semi-Finalist 2009

awlred

Postby espressomattic » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:04 pm

awlred wrote:For some reason the residents of Olney like their milk scalded.

It is something to do with the webbing between their fingers and toes I am led to believe...between their extra finger I hasten to add. Apparently helps with the banjo playing too...
espressomattic

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee