BATH COFFEE HOUSE

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

BATH COFFEE HOUSE

Postby ANDREW_TUCKER » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:59 am

Hi All...

I'm new to the site and thought I'd let you know of our latest venture to bring the good people of Bath & surrounds a decent cup of a coffee.

Jika Jika on George Street is opening in July and will be serving a selection of espresso and filter coffees.
I've come from a coffee background and my role as General Manager will include a strong focus on ensuring we serve consistently excellents coffees with the help of our friend's down at Origin Coffee Roasters in Cornwall.

We've created an exclusive house espresso blend; a 50/50 Ethiopia Dry Harrar/ Sumatra Lake Toba, packing bags of body and luxurious chocolate notes, and we'll be offering a monthly changing "in-season" single origin filter brewed on Aero-Press.

We've opted for an Astoria Plus4You with the ability to control brew head temperatue independently from one another to allow us to get the absolute best from the espresso blend we're using (Hugo will testify to its capabilities!) so we hope that (once we're finally up and running!) you'll be able to come in 7 days a week for something that seems to be sorely missing from Bath City Centre.... a truely decent coffee made by experienced and knowledgable baristi.

Hope to see you all soon!
:lol:
ANDREW_TUCKER

RE: BATH COFFEE HOUSE

Postby triptogenetica » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:11 am

Great intro - and welcome to TMC!

Good to hear Bath will have a better coffee place...

Are you an Aussie, by the way? If not - why the name?
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby ANDREW_TUCKER » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:23 am

Hi triptogenetica,

thanks for the support - I'm not an Auzzie no, although I lived and worked in Melbourne for a year aswell as a number of other countries.
The name Jika Jika is actually Zulu and means "to twist/turn" amongst other things...
Look forward to seeing you in Bath soon!
ANDREW_TUCKER

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:29 pm

Welcome to TMC Andrew :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby ianboughton » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:54 am

Our new friend - who apparently is not the Andrew Tucker who runs San Remo and Coffee West !! - has very modestly omitted to mention that a couple of the owners are, I believe, rugby internationalists.

Good luck
-Ian B, Coffee House
ianboughton

Postby DrTom » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:29 am

Good luck with you business!
DrTom

Postby smoocher » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:41 pm

haha i have to say i thought it was THE andrew tucker
smoocher

Postby ANDREW_TUCKER » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:40 am

Hi Guys,

this is something of a coincidence that i share my name with another Andrew Tucker in the coffee industry - also based in the south west! And yes, it has been the cause of some confusions in the past but as you rightly say, I am not of San Remo fame...

I look forward to welcoming as many of you as possible to Jika Jika for a coffee when we finally open our doors!

I'm in the process of setting up a little network across the globe amongst some select roasters from new Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Canada and the USA to do a regular monthly "espresso exchange" so that we'll be able to feature a different coffee roaster's blend each month from around the world for our customers to try... just to expand palates and get a feel fro what's going on overseas really.... should be fun - and we have some great roasters interested in taking part so watch this space!

Andrew
-------------------------------------
Astoria Plus 4 You 3grp
Mazzer Kony
Mazzer Super-Jolly
Ditting KFA 1403
ANDREW_TUCKER

Postby Hugo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:48 pm

What are Rugby internationalists?
http://www.relishfoodanddrink.co.uk
Relish Food & Drink
Foundry Court
Wadebridge
Cornwall
Hugo

Postby bruceb » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:33 pm

Hugo wrote:What are Rugby internationalists?

Thank you for asking. I wonder if we'll get an answer. :?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby ANDREW_TUCKER » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:43 am

"Internationalists" is a new one me too! But as mentioned - Yes, Jika Jika is the forthcoming business owned by Bath, England and British Lions Rugby player - Lee Mears along with Matt Stevens.

Hopefully if the Lions return triumphantly from South Africa then we'll have another good cause for celebration at Jika Jika!

Watch this space...

Cheers all
Andrew
-------------------------------------
Astoria Plus 4 You 3grp
Mazzer Kony
Mazzer Super-Jolly
Ditting KFA 1403
ANDREW_TUCKER

Postby ianboughton » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Good heavems Hugo, you really must get out more. An internationalist is a fairly well-used term in the sports pages, denoting someone who has represented his/her country.

In coffee terms, of course, this means you, too, are an internationalist!

Cheers
-Ianb
ianboughton

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:26 am

I think we should all choose a word and work it at least once into every one of our posts from this point onward. The OP has obviously chosen his cafe name ;). The coffee had better be bloody good!

Seriously though, I hope it goes well :)

Oh, and the correct term, I believe, for the owners is 'internationalist egg chasers' ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby TrevorH » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:28 pm

Aaah... A completely different Andrew Tucker! Phew - that makes a lot more sense!
http://thebeanvagrant.wordpress.com/

Work: Astoria Plus4U 3grp/Modified Anfim Super GOD (dual-preset) with doser.
Home: Mahlkonig Tanzania/Hario 480ml Woodneck/Sowden Soft Brew small/01 and 02 cup sizes plastic Hario V60/Plastic 4-hole and ceramic 3 and 2 hole one cup flat bottomed pourovers/3-6 cup Chemex/Paico Pouring kettle/Hario TCA5 syphon/Aeropress/Cafetieres/Mypressi Twist/La Pavoni Europiccola pre 2000/Stainless steel stove-top/Rancilio Rocky doserless/Ditting KR1203 (sold).
TrevorH

Return to Places to drink coffee