Aberdeen

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Aberdeen

Postby shm » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:29 pm

Went into Kilua. I've been before, but it was disappointing. Nice muffins but .. well, I'll just say I've had better coffee. It's a better choice than the alternatives - high street chains.
stuff
shm

Postby RobsonBarista » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:15 am

I live in aberdeen and I use to visit Kilau often. It has nice food, atmosphere, etc but the coffee really isn't great. They use a roast from a small roasters round the corner that I tried and quickly ditched for Has Bean. The staff seem to like coffee which is good!

http://vimeo.com/3844178

Pay close attention to the shot, it only shows it for a second

I like that they are trying to be better then you high street cafe in aberdeen, I like the feel of the place. I just wish they focused more on great shots.

p.s.
I've always ordered a small and its a 8oz cup they use...in that video the cup has a lot of espresso in it, doesnt it?
Last edited by RobsonBarista on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobsonBarista

Postby bruceb » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:43 am

Ummmmm, the link seems to show a lens test rather than an espresso shot. Or maybe I missed something.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby RobsonBarista » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:35 pm

It was a lense test, but it was a video taken in the cafe
If you listen to the audio you hear background noise from customers and when tamping then camera user says "gonna send this to starbucks...they can see how you tamp coffee", they also put flavoring in it.

My guess is its a drink that was served to a customer.

Just a little edit...
Felt I was rather harsh on the place. I had a couple bad visits but I think they were rather busy opening up another store.
I've been in a couple times since and had nice visits. They are a cafe that serve nice sandwiches, crepes and drinks, going for a student/arty sort of feel and I judged them a bit harshly for that.

My latest trip in was really nice. I had a coronation chicken baguette (toasted) the soup of the day with a latte, espresso shortly after, the latte had a bit of a chalky taste to it but the espresso was really rather nice. If your in Aberdeen it's worth a visit.
RobsonBarista

Return to Places to drink coffee