UK Coffee iPhone App

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

UK Coffee iPhone App

Postby grib » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:36 am

Well it's finally ready, an iPhone app powered by the UK Good Coffee Map (with other map sources coming soon)

It's taken the guts of four weeks to be approved by Apple and show up in the store. I know its a bit basic, but it does it's job and I'm over the moon as its my first app.

You can find it here on iTunes

I know some people may be a tad apprehensive about paying for the app, but it's necessary to cover server costs, as most of the processing is done there, I hope you understand.
Andrew "Grib" Gribben
Former Freelance Barista
The Griblog
grib

RE: UK Coffee iPhone App

Postby Joris » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:22 pm

Gratz on making your first iPhone app... :)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:11 am

Well done Andrew :). Making this a sticky.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby RobC » Sun May 10, 2009 1:44 pm

It looks like it will be quite good, although it won't install on my 2.2 firmware and I can't face upgrading and having to manually install all my third party apps which are set up perfect at the moment - so it'll have to wait until June.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby Tinseljim » Sun May 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks for this application. Works well for finding coffee already existing on other maps and helped me to find Wellington in Edinburgh when I was there! Cheers!

Can I suggest adding a simple feature that allows you to upload photos to these spots and add new spots. Also is there a way to see descriptions of these cafés ahead of time?
Tinseljim

Postby Skippy » Tue May 19, 2009 11:40 am

wish id had this (an an iphone :lol:) when i was in london, got throughly lost in soho.
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby grib » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:45 pm

I know I've disappeared for a bit (again) but nearly got the new version ready to submit to Apple, thanks to everyone that have bought a copy!

I've taken a lot of suggestions on board, and thanks to the new 3.0 firmware it's going to be great. The app will launch with a fullscreen map, locate you and then load markers, following the map marker conventions from the UK Good Coffee map (flame for roasters, truck for carts etc).

Clicking on the marker gets a short popup info box and click on the more info flips the map around and gives you some more details, including contact info, where available. This view will also let you submit photos, so if you get some great latte art you can add it to the page so so others can see it next time.

It's also been requested I add some sort of review system, and so I'm adding a five star rating so you can see how others have found the location.

Should have it finished tonight and I'll post some photos here and you'll find it on the iTunes store in a few weeks once it gets approved.

Oh yea remember, all future upgrades are free, I'm actually surprised how many people ask me that!
Andrew "Grib" Gribben
Former Freelance Barista
The Griblog
grib

Postby Aadje » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Wow, sounds like a great app. Alas I live in Holland and don't have an iPhone . . . :(
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby grib » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:24 pm

I live in Holland and don't have an iPhone

Apart from those two small problems, it would be ideal for you! :wink:
Andrew "Grib" Gribben
Former Freelance Barista
The Griblog
grib

Postby Aadje » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:27 pm

:lol:
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby shm » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:49 pm

This app may be the thing that convinces me to get an iphone after my current contract runs out. Since I have a year still to go I'm hoping they do a decent camera (i.e. bigger than 3 megapixels) and 64gig memory by next year then I can sell my N95 and my ipod 60gig together to contribute to an iphone.
stuff
shm

Postby Skippy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:00 pm

Any news about the app?
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby Dave71 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:38 am

hey great app. how can we nominate great coffee shops for the app?
Dave71

Postby jossy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:51 pm

Hi Grib

I bought the app but I'm sorry to say that I am finding it a bit disappointing:

1) it doesn't get up to date information from the good coffee map. For example the good coffee map has a cafe called Ginger & White in NW3 which does not appear on the app

2) the app gets you a peg in google maps that allows you to navigate to the cafe's supposed location, but you see neither the address nor any of the user comments and description from the good coffee map. Since many of the pegs are not placed correctly, you end up hopelessly looking for a cafe that's not there (until eventually you end up looking it up in google to get the right address....)

Don't worry I'm not going to ask for my money back just yet and I'm aware that you're not an iphone-app-pro, but is there any chance that you could try to address these issues in the future?
Quest M3 - iRoast2 - Mahlkönig Vario - PIDed Gaggia Classic at home - - Electric Cezve/Ibriki and Iberital MC2 at work - Aeroporess - Hario TCA Syphons - Hario Skerton and Porlex Hand Grinders - Chemex
jossy

Postby Skippy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:21 pm

The app now seems to not work at all? i just get no results
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee