Grand Opening - DH2 Toronto

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Grand Opening - DH2 Toronto

Postby 300CUPS » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:25 am

It was the grand opening of the much anticipated second location of Dark Horse in Toronto today. I don't know if it is possible to say WOW too many times in one day, but it was uttered many times during a relatively short visit with Beanie today.

You can just see the lovely 4 group La Marzocco at the end of the bar in the first photo, and the spectacular space in which it resides. This must be one of the most impressive espresso spaces that I have ever seen, yet it retains the welcoming comfort of the original DH location. Of course, the coffee is excellent. Congrats to owners Ed and Dee.

Brian

Edit: you can't really see it from the first photo, but the second photo is taken from another cozy seating area that is raised, and behind the bar. You can sit up there in comfy chairs and watch the baristas work their magic through the glass balcony. Very cool.
Attachments
IMG_0128.jpg
IMG_0128.jpg (17.65 KiB) Viewed 9204 times
IMG_0132.jpg
IMG_0132.jpg (18.94 KiB) Viewed 9204 times
By hook or by crook, I will get milk steaming figured out.

Gaggia XD two group; Rossi RR45; Zassenhaus; various Presses.
300CUPS

RE: Grand Opening - DH2 Toronto

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:49 am

Looks fantastic Brian. Stylish cafe :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Grand Opening - DH2 Toronto

Postby Beanie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:03 am

:D :D :D It's sooooooooo hard to refrain from commenting 'more' ;)

Thanks for a yet another wonderful day, Brian :) Looking forward to our next 'mini' coffee crawl :D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Re: RE: Grand Opening - DH2 Toronto

Postby GreenBean » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:59 am

Beanie wrote::D :D :D It's sooooooooo hard to refrain from commenting 'more' ;)

Thanks for a yet another wonderful day, Brian :) Looking forward to our next 'mini' coffee crawl :D

Please don't try so hard Beanie, we would love you to comment further. :D

It really looks very impressive. :shock: :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Re: RE: Grand Opening - DH2 Toronto

Postby 300CUPS » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:10 pm

Hey Beanie, commenting more on what? The halogen vac pot? The storage space? The cupping/training space in the back? The storage space? Copious fridges? The amazing natural light? The recycled bowling lane tables and counter tops? Copious fridges? The STORAGE SPACE? The huge bar? :D :D

300CUPS

Postby radish » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:42 pm

That's a beautiful looking cafe! I loved the look of the original location as well - the owners certainly have good taste.
Silvia+PID, Mazzer Major, Rocky, Chemex, Aeropress and Gene Cafe.
radish

Postby espressomattic » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Please don't encourage her ;) Seriously, Looks great.
espressomattic

Postby Beanie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Good Lawd, Brian!!!! HTF did you miss all the storage space and the copious number of refridgerators in the place?!?!?!?!?

Oh yeah... just outside the doors towards the WC, there's the "biowall" ;) I'm more used to calling it a 'living wall" basically, greenery planted vertically on a wall ;)

Oh, did I mention how much bloody storage space DH2 has? :roll:

More pictures to be seen here for your FB'ers ;)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby 300CUPS » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:46 am

I forgot the nice little individual glass water bottles and glasses... IN THEIR OWN FRIDGE. Beanie felt that the pump dispensers for the milk and cream were an upgrade as well, but I think that you have to be in the business to perhaps appreciate that. Oh and the new house roasts from Detour: feature this week - Tanzania peaberry.

300CUPS

Postby Beanie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:25 pm

I can't believe this happened a year ago today!!! Time IS moving faster, isn't it? huh? right?
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:05 pm

I believe time is relative ...... it may even be my auntie :roll:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:20 am

Nah! Can't be Cakes... it's moving FASTer... can't possibly be related to you then! :razz:
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:24 am

I'm just so fast, that I appear static :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Return to Places to drink coffee