Best ever americano out

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Best ever americano out

Postby matts » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:31 pm

At the bottom of Lothian Rd in Edinburgh, Cafe Nero, which is my chain of choice anyway if I'm desperate.

BTC two young ladies of Eastern European origin by accent and appearance (although I didn't ask), just before lunch so busy, Mazzer Mini working overtime (surely not enough grinder for the gorgeous modern 4 group Faema Diplomat they favour).

Cup was warmed, then the water discarded and fresh water in, nicely dosed and tamped and then (i'm watching from the counter and counting from when she hits the button SAD GIT!!!) 1,2,3,4,5, still no coffee, 6, ah there it is, drip drip, transforms into a very respectable pour which finishes about 28 seconds and doesn't look too blond, nice crema, and a great balanced flavour. Just the thing for a blustery autumn day in the capital. :)

Matt
matts

Postby pault » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:02 pm

What were you doing in Edinburgh which I thought all Glaswegians were allergic to??

I spent 7 years in Edinburgh including watching the world cup semifinal against Germany in a pub as one of only about 3 English people - I still have the mental scars (twitch, twitch) :mrgreen:

Agree with your choice of chain store - Nero is the best although I had a cappo the other day that I just couldn't finish, stale beans ...
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby nickr » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:31 pm

I had an americano from Monmouth, Borough Market London over two hours ago and I'm still buzzing. They are using a new blend I'm sure - very strong. Just the thing for re acquainting me with daytime after a week of night shifts.

Nick
nickr

Postby matts » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:28 am

pault wrote:What were you doing in Edinburgh which I thought all Glaswegians were allergic to??

I am an ex-pat New Zealander actually :? (long story) but in general yes the East has a different flavour...but tend to go back and forth for work quite a bit.

I promise not to mention football if you don't (too depressing at present) :cry:

Matt
'at least Berti isn't a Kiwi'
matts

Postby Steve » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:33 pm

Hmmm of Topic but has Berti gone yet? (sorry for non UK or Non Football types).

And really should we leave it alone ;) It's nice to see the Jocks suffering and I'm sure if the boot was on the other foot ;)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby pault » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:12 pm

I think we should be sympathetic to the Jocks - being patronising is worse than being nasty :P
Spazio 2 Group, Pavoni Pro.
Pavoni JDoser & Mazzer Mini Elec Grinders,
Vac Pots - Mini Santos Electronic & Cona 'D'
Various Press Pots
Hottop Roaster
pault

Postby Steve » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:29 pm

He's gone now its finished. Here comes gordon Strachan. I think its a good thing more gingers in high places ;)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby phil » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:43 am

Matt - I think I may be in Glasgow between Christmas & New Year. I fancied dropping into the Matthew Algie place but from this I wonder if you're saying it's not too hot?
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby matts » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:38 pm

phil wrote:Matt - I think I may be in Glasgow between Christmas & New Year. I fancied dropping into the Matthew Algie place but from this I wonder if you're saying it's not too hot?

Sorry, are you talking about another thread?

No Phil, it's not hot at Xmas in Scotland :wink:

Tinderbox on Byres Rd in the West End is really nice for a visit, my house is also very good....pm me and we can tee something up maybe, don't know if we could wangle a roastery visit again at Algies at that time of year.

Cheers
Matt
matts

Return to Places to drink coffee