New coffee experience in SOHO

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

New coffee experience in SOHO

Postby SJeffrey » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:12 pm

Hey all,

Tomorrow I collect my street trading licence from Westminster council to officially begin service on Monday 15th December 2008.
From this date, Cheeky Bean Coffee will be officially operating out of Rupert Street market in Soho, serving the finest triple-certified beans to tickle your tastebuds.... :D :D

Thanks to all on the TMC forums who have helped me get this business off the ground with their advice and help....it's taken 3 months but i'm sure I will represent the TMC community well by creating and maintaining a reputation for quality, service and value-for-money.

I hope those of you who live, work or visit the area will take the time to drop by and say Hi...
...and don't worry, you won't have any problem spotting me in Rupert Street :wink:

Best wishes to all, and I look forward to being of service to you all very soon.

-Steve
Last edited by SJeffrey on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.cheekybean.co.uk
Fiorenzato Ducale 2-Group
Mazzer Super Jolly
Roasted-to-order 100% Arabica blend of Peruvian, Ethiopian & Honduran beans.
Fairtrade, Organic & Rainforest Alliance Blends ONLY.
SJeffrey

Postby Eschatologist » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:54 pm

As someone who makes coffee on outdoor markets 4 days a week, I can honestly say you're in for a real treat, workwise :D I look forward to meeting you the next time I'm in town!
Eschatologist

Postby charmon » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:36 pm

I'm in the outdoor mobile game myself (non-proprietor though), so all the best with the venture. Everyone loves a little truck...
charmon

Postby kingseven » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:35 am

I might try and pop down when I am done delivering in Soho today!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Aadje » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:14 pm

Good luck with your venture, and lots of fun!
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby SJeffrey » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:41 pm

Thanks to all for your good wishes.

Jim, as well as being an honour and a priviledge to serve you a hot beverage today, it would also be impossible as I don't open till Monday... :lol:
You know where I am though, so hopefully you can drop by next time..(after Monday!)

-Steve
www.cheekybean.co.uk
Mazzer Super Jolly
SJeffrey

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:28 am

Good luck with your new venture Steve. I'm sure you will do really well :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby YouriV » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:46 am

Good luck and I will hope to come by second week of January. I am planning a little trip to some shops in London and will include you as well. Looking forward to it :)
YouriV

Postby Tristan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:36 am

Good luck Steve, what coffee are you using?
The Wild Drink Blog
www.tristanstephenson.com
Expobar Brewtus II, Vario
Tristan

Postby Bombcup » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:46 pm

what time do you open up? I had a look down Rupert St. this morning about 08.30 when driving along Brewer St. but didn't spot you. Are you on Brewer St. side or Chinatown side of Shaftesbury avenue?
Bombcup

Postby SJeffrey » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:16 pm

Hey mate.....we are licensed from 0800, but looks to be a dead zone at that time of the morning, based on monday's experience, so we opened up later today. Looking like around 09:30 opening up time, but i gotta say the omens don't look good. Been there 2 days now, and only sold about 40 teas and coffees. I know it takes quite a bit of time to build awareness and a reputation, but my gut is telling that there must be busier opportunities elsewhere...:(

Oh, and we are on the Brewer street side of Rupert St...
www.cheekybean.co.uk
Mazzer Super Jolly
SJeffrey

Postby propofolpete » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:15 pm

Had a very good shot and chat t'other day with Steve~Thanks!
Pukka set up with the van and all the trimmings but as Steve says he does need to get a bit nearer Berwick St market. Its all a bit too red light down that end of the street! :lol:
I'll be back in the new year for another double!
so it goes...

Gaggia. Aristarco. Grindenstien. Has beans. SQM.
propofolpete

Postby SJeffrey » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:39 pm

Hey all,

Happy new year to everybody on the forum...wonder what this year will bring to us all???

Just a quick note to say that Cheeky Bean will be moving to Berwick Street market for January - Rupert Street seemed to host customers looking for other kinds of stimulants than coffee... :wink: :wink:

There was just no trade there, so Westminster council looked kindly on my plight, and I will be casual trading out of Berwick Street from Monday 5th Jan.

Thanks to those of you who have paid a visit to say hello so far, it is warmly appreciated.

Best wishes.......Steve
www.cheekybean.co.uk
Mazzer Super Jolly
SJeffrey

Postby smoocher » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:01 pm

i don't want to be rude and hopefully you will take this as it's meant, ie - helpful advice

but how do you suppose to compete against Flat White? i don't know where you will be positioned on the market but you will surely be 40 feet MAXIMUM away from one of the most consistently great places to get coffee in the whole country.
there are only two ways i could imagine trying to survive on that market; either making incredible filter coffee. or serving nescafe and 20p teas.
i am all for free market economies, i'm all for competition and i think it's healthy for businesses but i really think you will have a hard, if not impossible time surviving. london is a huge, huge city and there are lots and lots of places crying out for good coffee. this stretch of soho is, infact, one of the only places to get good coffee with flat white, milk bar, fernandez and wells, sacred, sacred booth and the new fernandez and wells opening up. monmoths just down the road a bit and lantana is just up the road abit.

a really good example of this is there is a coffee shop/cafe that's just opening up on one of the side in that area. it's in a pretty good location and looks really nice inside - i can't actually remember the name but they've got a 2 group gb5 running union roasted coffee.
i've walked past that store about 3/4 times now, all at dramatically different dates and hours. it is consistently dead. consistently.

i'm sure there are a ton of great markets where you can do a great trade in london but i'm pretty sure berwick street isn't it.
smoocher

Postby SJeffrey » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Hey Ross,

No offence taken at all mate - thanks for taking the time to pass on your comments.
Here's how I see things: -
1. When it comes to street trading, it's not like I can just pull up near a busy street and start serving. It has to be either in a council run market or a privately owned market.
Also it has to be one where I can drive in/out of, as I am in a mobile vehicle.
2. Many of the popular London markets (e.g. Leather Lane) only open for a short number of hours each day, and also only on specific days. I want and need a market that will allow me to trade 5-6 days per week, so that narrows down the list further.
3. As a mobile operator, I will never properly compete against FW or anyone who has seats and a roof, including the high street chains. However, there is a school of thought that says retailers of a certain type should group together. e.g. I know that if I want a new bit of trendy gear, then I might head off to covent garden, whereas if I know that good coffee is to be found in / around Berwick Street, then I'll head there.
4. Yes, FW is a top place. However, it is small and I have heard many people say that quality is good, but service is slow. People have their favourites, and everyone has a chink in their armour... :wink:

Ideally, I'd be situated in a sunny atrium in a nice office block with customers coming at me as fast as I can handle. We are banging on those doors too, as well as looking at larger events or weekends that can help pay the bills. There is a comprehensive list of events to be found here if anyone is interested...
http://www.eventsbook.co.uk/home/index.rails

At the end of the day i tried Rupert Street and it wasnt right, so we move on to the next one. I cant afford to wait for the perfect spot to appear, and I need the business to start earning it's keep asap, so I gotta start trading. At least Berwick Street is a recognised market with a steady throng of people.

I suspect that Berwick Street wont be the final answer, but if it helps pay the bills in the meantime, then I'll take it.

Thanks for your concern mate, and I know that all reading this forum will wish me well. We have a great product, and the vehicle is well-presented with a great character, so I am sure something good will come of it at some point... :)
www.cheekybean.co.uk
Mazzer Super Jolly
SJeffrey

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee