Maastrict, Valkenberg and Aachen

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Maastrict, Valkenberg and Aachen

Postby Glenn » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:49 pm

I'm heading off to a christmas market and will be staying in Maastrict, but visiting Aachen, Valkenberg and Maastrict.

I'll be driving so any recommended cafes in the vicinity could be reached

Does anyone have any suggestions where to visit?

Looking for coffee, not the other offerings that Maastrict has to offer in its coffee shops
Gaggia Classic | Mahlkonig Vario | Chemex | Aeropress | Refractometer & Extract Mojoâ„¢ | mypressi TWISTâ„¢ | Reg Barber Copper Base Tamper | and only the best beans
Glenn

RE: Maastrict, Valkenberg and Aachen

Postby Aadje » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:09 pm

Blanche Deal in maastricht should be good.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby JulieJayne » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:00 pm

Coffee Lovers/Blanche Dael. But try their small bar at the uni. Better service. The main cafe by the bridge (sorry can't remember street names) is too large and the coffee sits for too long before being served.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby Glenn » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks both - looking forward to my trip

Any decent cafe's in Valkenberg?
Gaggia Classic | Mahlkonig Vario | Chemex | Aeropress | Refractometer & Extract Mojoâ„¢ | mypressi TWISTâ„¢ | Reg Barber Copper Base Tamper | and only the best beans
Glenn

Postby Beanie » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:15 am

Valkenberg? Not unless something's changed since last summer ;) :( Closest for a damn good coffee would be at Brummie's house in Eindhoven :)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:03 am

I miss Brummie :(
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby zapty » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:01 pm

Hey Leverage, hear you are setting of on a trip down to the South of Limburg.....

For Aachen try:
http://www.van-den-daele.de/ or cafe Kittel, a fun student cafe

For maastricht try:
Maison Blanch Dael Coffeelovers: http://www.coffeelovers.nl/ or for good hearty food try Cafe Sjiek, a local favorite...

For Valkenburg aan de Geul it is another story, not really a place where you can get a half decent cup of coffee or so, lots of cafè's though, try Botterweck, at least they have decent pastries etc and the coffee is hot..... http://www.botterweck.nl/

I live quite near all three of the places you will visit, Maastricht is really a great city, Aachen has a fun christmas market and also has lots of things happening and Valkenburg aan de Geul is also a decent and fun although touristy place to visit. Try Thermae 2000 for a day of rest and relaxation.... http://www.thermae.nl/en/
If you need any assistance or anything once you are in my neck of the woods, let me know.....

And BeanyBabe, I resent the fact that you did not mention my place, a lot closer then good old Brummie's in any case....and the coffee is also very decent here in Hoensbroek....
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:06 am

Zapty! :P Good to see you :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby zapty » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:37 am

CakeBoy wrote:Zapty! :P Good to see you :D

Hey there Cakey, you too, I've been lurking around but.....you know how it goes, busy, busy, busy...... Good to be back....
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Aadje » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:59 am

An impressive sight in Valkenburg are also the replica catacombs from Rome. They are really stunning. http://www.katakomben.nl/
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby Glenn » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:36 am

Thanks all - this time next week I will be touring this area and visiting the catacombs of Valkenburg

Zapty, thanks for the detailed description and recommendations
Glenn

Postby zapty » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:35 pm

Have fun Leverage, you choose some fine places to visit, make sure to visit the Dom of Aachen and check out Charlemagne's old throne and the famous treasury, beautiful historical pieces to be seen. The old city hall used to be part of Charlemagne's castle back in the old days. The cristmas market is all around the old city hall.
Best place to park when visiting the christmas market is the Bendplatz http://www.aachen.de/EN/ts/50_how_to_ge ... index.html it is not only free but it is a nice walk in to town and you pass under the old city gate.....
zapty

Postby Gouezeri » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:38 pm

Alright, I'm gonna get in here first, before one of you other miscreants does! :P
zapty wrote:make sure to visit the Dom of Aachen

You mean there's another one of me in Holland? And you all thought one was enough already :lol:
Gouezeri

Postby Aadje » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:44 pm

Aachen is in Germany . . . but there is also a Dom in Utrecht, so yes there is one of you in Holland.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby zapty » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:27 pm

There really is only one Dom, the one we all cherish, to be found on this Forum only....
zapty

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee