Going to London tomorrow

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Bombcup » Sun May 17, 2009 11:15 am

Anything good in Twickers or Richmond what what? Got time to kill before Northampton play in the cup final at The Stoop (Quins' ground) Friday evening and don't want to be prematurely inebriated so good coffee suggestions would be appreciated.

Failing that, where's got the best pint of Pride there?

Come on you Saints!
Bombcup

Postby Skippy » Sun May 17, 2009 11:40 am

no, the barista told me about the yirgacheffe, but it had run out the day before, doh! The SM spring blend was particularly delicious tho.
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby kingseven » Sun May 17, 2009 3:04 pm

I will make sure Farm get the feedback - they will be very disappointed to have let you down.

Never had a bad coffee in Dose, Jimmy always does a great job.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby syscrusher » Sun May 17, 2009 3:58 pm

more broom!
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby Gouezeri » Sun May 17, 2009 8:14 pm

rossbrown wrote:i would PERSONALLY throw sacred off the old coffee tour 'route' as it were.

Well, to be fair, I'd say it has been more "knocked off" due to the increase of quality places out there. Phil and I had a drink there a while ago and I remember a fair wait for distinctly cold cappas (it wasn't _that_ busy). I remember drinking there with Steve quite a while back, and him rating it higher than me though, so what do I know :lol:
Last edited by Gouezeri on Sun May 17, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gouezeri

Postby Skippy » Sun May 17, 2009 9:37 pm

kingseven wrote:I will make sure Farm get the feedback - they will be very disappointed to have let you down.

Never had a bad coffee in Dose, Jimmy always does a great job.

Thinking about it, It was a soya milk cappa. The barista had to ask someone else if they had any and then go right into the back to get it. So to be fair on him, he might not have used it much before which would explain the milk being of a lower standard than flat white or milk bar.
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby smoocher » Sun May 17, 2009 9:54 pm

soya?
smoocher

Postby Gouezeri » Sun May 17, 2009 10:02 pm

Skippy, did you get the chance to try any straight shots? What were they like?

Without wishing to drag the thread totally off topic, do many people here actually like Soy based drinks?
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

my london coffee trip

Postby Joey » Sun May 17, 2009 10:55 pm

Back from London and my trip to the famous coffeeshops.
This was my route...

1) Whitecross Market: Gwylim is a darling, I love his way of working the market

2) Sqare Mile: James, thank you for your time and letting me pick your brain ;-)
Love your spring blend!!!

3) Monmouth: The Barista was nice, the rest arrogant. I asked 3 different staff members if I can make a picture AND a guest. Everybody said "yes". Before I even shot a pic one of the girls snarled at me and said that it was impolite to not ask before taking a pic.... I said "but I did" but she resumed naging. So I just left the store. And BTW - a cappuccino has a certain size - it's an original drink from Italy. I don't expect a soupbowl sized cup with milk-coffee and "some foam" on top. Call that differently, but not cappucino!

4) Milkbar & Flatwhite - I had great piccolos at both of them. Loved the atmospherer, the mood of the staff, the easy going style, and the coffees were realy good, made with love and latte art.

5) Fernandez & Wells: I have been in the newest one. Hmmm. It was ok, but ot a perfect espresso. Totaly dirty cup from pulling away. Didn't clean it. Tasted a bit empty and acid. But stil, better then most coffees in normal places.

When I'll come back I'll hang out with the Aussies again. They were the best.

Cheers
Joey

PS.: And no, I don't like or drink Soy milk :-)
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Skippy » Sun May 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Gouezeri wrote:Skippy, did you get the chance to try any straight shots? What were they like?

Without wishing to drag the thread totally off topic, do many people here actually like Soy based drinks?

had straight shots from dose, monmouth and milk bar. Dose was by far the best
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Re: my london coffee trip

Postby Jasonscheltus » Mon May 18, 2009 6:30 am

joey wrote:3) Monmouth: The Barista was nice, the rest arrogant. I asked 3 different staff members if I can make a picture AND a guest. Everybody said "yes". Before I even shot a pic one of the girls snarled at me and said that it was impolite to not ask before taking a pic.... I said "but I did" but she resumed naging. So I just left the store. And BTW - a cappuccino has a certain size - it's an original drink from Italy. I don't expect a soupbowl sized cup with milk-coffee and "some foam" on top. Call that differently, but not cappucino!

You left the store after they said you couldn't take photos?? That's pretty weak.

I used to work there, and yes it gets f**king tedious everyone taking photos of you all the time.
Jasonscheltus

Postby Bombcup » Mon May 18, 2009 7:55 am

Almost as tedious as rattling on about Italian cappuccinos AGAIN
Bombcup

Postby BillyT » Mon May 18, 2009 11:48 am

Dose is definitely pulling some of the best shots in this city at the moment, no question!
Joey, Skippy, we would have loved some coffee geeks at Taste of Bitter Love, even had a little Ninth Street, Alphabet City (that Gwil kindly handed over) last week! Pop in next time, Im always up for a geek-out on a Sunday!!
Linea
Anfim
Anfim
Santos
BillyT

Postby dsc » Mon May 18, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi guys,

sounds like I need to finally visit Gwyl and Dose.

Which Monmouth were in you joey? I always found people on Borough Market nice and helpful, although I never tried taking pics.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Re: my london coffee trip

Postby Joey » Mon May 18, 2009 10:59 pm

Jasonscheltus wrote:You left the store after they said you couldn't take photos?? That's pretty weak.

I didn't need the pic THAT much. Not for the price of being humiliated as if I insulted someone. 3 times asking politely is enough I think.

Actually I wanted to link them on my homepage with a pic, but hey, obviously they don't need more friends.

Jasonscheltus wrote:I used to work there, and yes it gets f**king tedious everyone taking photos of you all the time.

Then write a sign! Or coordinate the staff what to say to tourists wanting a memory. I felt pushed around and not welcome. Nuff said.

@Bombcup - I am sorry if I have bored you. As I work a lot training Baristi and teaching them about cultural differences and retaining original recipes as well, I don't have the time to follow TMC so often to be aware of how often somebody talked about cappuccini.

Cheez, that used to be a friendly forum when I was member #10 out of 200.

@dsc: in Monmouth Street, didn't make it to the Market, too :-(
Actually the one guy was a darling! The girls seemed nice, too, at the beginning. Obviously she had a bad day, I hope...

@ BillyT: Thanks a lot - I always love to hang out with Baristi, exchange experiences, stories and taste coffees - I'll be back! :)
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

PreviousNext

Return to Places to drink coffee