Going to London tomorrow

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:53 pm

In general I don't see the need for this kind of patronising blurb. My feeling in such a case is that if they don't need my business I don't need them. Vanity is probably everyone's chief characteristic, but it may not be necessary to wear it on one's lapel. Or as my granddad used to say, "It's always best if the product does the advertising."
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby motoman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:10 am

I've always wondered what happened to my ex wife and her family, such a modest lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdUFcxD2ws4
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby GreenBean » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:44 pm

motoman wrote:I've always wondered what happened to my ex wife and her family, such a modest lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdUFcxD2ws4

That reminds me of the song I sing to myself each morning whilst shaving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-07_2DWfEmQ

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Bombcup » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:50 pm

bruceb wrote:Or as my granddad used to say, "It's always best if the product does the advertising."

Exactly Bruce, I always maintain that it is not the customer's responsibility to know why your product is great. Why should they have to get all geeky about it? All they did was come for a hot drink. That's the proprietor's job.

Let's take the point about customers complaining about price. Presumably they were aware of the price before they ordered. Therefore they were willing to pay that price otherwise they would have walked on. If they then complain the drink was too expensive then they have been disappointed - that price did not represent good value. Discount the occasional customer who is just a dick, then either the drink wasn't that great or the business has failed to manage expectations. Either way it's the shop's problem.

You could say the letter is a way of managing expectations but it's the most cack-handed self defeating method I've ever encountered.
Bombcup

Postby Aadje » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:52 am

Well spoken!

Although I support the point this particular shop is making, I have to agree with you Bombcup, about the way they are presenting it.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:31 pm

Bombcup wrote:
bruceb wrote:Or as my granddad used to say, "It's always best if the product does the advertising."

Exactly Bruce, I always maintain that it is not the customer's responsibility to know why your product is great. Why should they have to get all geeky about it? All they did was come for a hot drink. That's the proprietor's job.

Let's take the point about customers complaining about price. Presumably they were aware of the price before they ordered. Therefore they were willing to pay that price otherwise they would have walked on. If they then complain the drink was too expensive then they have been disappointed - that price did not represent good value. Discount the occasional customer who is just a dick, then either the drink wasn't that great or the business has failed to manage expectations. Either way it's the shop's problem.

You could say the letter is a way of managing expectations but it's the most cack-handed self defeating method I've ever encountered.

+1 Nicely put sir.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Previous

Return to Places to drink coffee