Broadway Market, Hackney

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Broadway Market, Hackney

Postby Narra » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:59 am

Spent a great Saturday morning walking down Broadway Market in Hackney.

There's a stall with a pourover drip coffee station for 7 cups. Fantatsic range of coffee's. I had a Sumatra Mandeling. Fantastic! We need more of these people!!

He also has 2 espresso machines grinding on an Anfim and tamping with a Hot Pink Reg Barber!

Also there is Climpsons and Sons where I had fantatstic Flat White.

Highly reccomended.
Narra

RE: Broadway Market, Hackney

Postby Gwilym » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:27 pm

...do not forget James pulling good shots & putting out the latte art on the canal side of broadway market (off a cart down the canal end of the street) or Lock 7 over the bridge or the Squaremile Roastery 2 mins away. failing those our boat is usually moored at by the lock if you fancy a locally roasted filter
never tried drip station stall but I can never resist a stop at climpsons though - they put up with my ridiculous dog so well, ta guys!
East London - too much coffee so little time (did i mention The Pavillion in nearby vicky park?)
Gwilym

Postby BazBean » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:51 pm

It looks like the London scene is blossoming great places.
Hopefully the southern heats of the UKBC will be better attended if folks indeed are inclined? Granted not all will want to attend or even see merit in the event but it does look more hopeful than recent times.
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Gwilym » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:35 pm

On that subject, I hope the lady from The Bitter taste of Love (short walk from Broadway market) is eligible to compete
Gwilym

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:00 pm

Does make you wonder what percentage of london baristas are kiwis/aussies.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby kingseven » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:26 pm

Gwilym is leading the British Barista charge! The English can make coffee!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Gwilym » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:47 pm

the antipodeans (& an infrequent icelandic friend) have certainly raised the bar here in london, especially with central london appearance of Taylor St
i blush at your comment but have to share that baton with the other English Londoners Jack & Scott. I look forward to watching at least one of these guys compete
Gwilym

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:16 pm

I couldn't agree more on that Gwilym, we've got a lot to thank the antip's for in developing the london scene.
Would be cool to have some kind of London competition/jam where nationality isn't an issue though. Have people representing cafe's, not countries. I know a number of baristas in London, who'd like to compete but can't due to distance.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Re: RE: Broadway Market, Hackney

Postby Goat » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:15 pm

Gwilym wrote:East London - too much coffee so little time (did i mention The Pavillion in nearby vicky park?)

Do tell - Victoria Park is about 10 minutes walk from my flat.

Is that the place that used to be the organic pub on the corner (The Crown??) opposite the entrance?
The first question I ask myself when asked to do something that's not obviously and overwhelmingly in my own best interest is, 'Exactly what happens if I don't do it?'
Goat

RE: Re: RE: Broadway Market, Hackney

Postby Gwilym » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Great pub pity it closed - loved the stuff from Pitfield brewery
but no, not there. It is inside the park, by the lake
popped in today and saw some great latte art from Brett.
Gwilym

Postby Eschatologist » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:01 pm

There's a stall with a pourover drip coffee station for 7 cups. Fantatsic range of coffee's. I had a Sumatra Mandeling. Fantastic! We need more of these people!!

He also has 2 espresso machines grinding on an Anfim and tamping with a Hot Pink Reg Barber!

That's me! Glad you enjoyed it (hope the weather was ok, it can be dreary if there's too much rain and wind).

The machines are La Scala Butterfly's, the Anfim is a 'Best', which I'll be changing for a Super Jolly (soon as I find a guy who can fix up the one in my dad's garage, £100 from a recently closed restaurant). 7 hole drip station made by a customer who happens to be a carpenter and didn't think much of my own attempts at woodwork :P Only cost me free coffee for a year too..
Eschatologist

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:16 pm

Hey hey, free coffee for a year for the average TMC'er is about 7 cups a day! ;) :shock: :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Places to drink coffee