Manchester Airport - worst espresso ever

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Manchester Airport - worst espresso ever

Postby bluevalentine » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:20 pm

Last night I had the worst espresso I've ever had in my life in Terminal One at Manchester Airport. Can't remember the name of the outlet (if anybody can fill me in I'll write to them) but it was on the left hand side after you came down the stairs. It's proud slogan was 'made with a passion' and if it was, that passion was 'hatred of the customer'.
Thin, flavourless, too long, no crema at all and spilling down the side of the cup and into the saucer. A case for suing under the trade descriptions act. Made by a sour-faced crone too. I took one sip and handed it straight back.
Reneka Techno V2M / Anfim doserless grinder / HotTop KN8828P / Reg & Espro / 3 French presses + Bialetti + Turkish ibrik + filter + Aeropress
In extremis I munch the beans

Coffee falls into the stomach ... ideas begin to move... shafts of wit start up like sharp-shooters, similies arise, the paper is covered with ink ...
Honore de Balzac
bluevalentine

RE: Manchester Airport - worst espresso ever

Postby BazBean » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:10 pm

I hear your pain Blue and its the norm we know out there but I wanted to reply because by a strange quirk last year i actually had once of the best espresso outside the places I trust, in a manchester airport terminal on a flight back into the UK.
it was from a Ritazza outlet !

Normally i only ever drink filter if i know its a fresh brew from such places but i overheard 2 wonderfull Female staff talking about the shot times and thought what the hell and chanced it.

it was technically very good and ticked all the boxes... the blend was not great and overroasted IMHO but never the less very good and probably even better because of the surprise element too it.

The staff were wonderfull and I think from eastern europe so the brits cant even take credit for that either.
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby GreenBean » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Try this link for a list of all food and drink outlets in any chosen terminal:

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/AtoZGuideToFood

I am sure you will express your discontent in your usual erudite manner. Let us know if they bother to reply.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Ed » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:46 pm

Should have gone to St*rb*cks
Ed

Postby Ed » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:47 pm

At least then you would know what to expect!!!
Ed

Return to Places to drink coffee