Ping New Zealand NorthIslanders

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Ping New Zealand NorthIslanders

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:45 pm

A friend of someone who has given me some good coffee tips in the past, is visiting Whangerei, Auckland, Coromandel, Tauranga and Wellington.

Any tips on good cafes or links to forums would be grand.

Bertie
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

RE: Ping New Zealand NorthIslanders

Postby espressomattic » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:32 pm

The Java Lounge in Tauranga is good for coffee, in Wellington, seek out Coffee Supreme for a must. Julian can give tips on Whangerei I think. Auckland is good for Cafes, try Marzocco Mile, plenty of choice up there. He could seeking out a cafe called Zigana as well in ALK.

If you have a look at the NZ coffee Roaster Asscociation website, that may help no end too.

So what's wrong with visiting Hamilton :? Coffee capital of my woprld at least ;)
espressomattic

Re: RE: Ping New Zealand NorthIslanders

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:51 am

Thanks for that Matt and if Julian knows any good ones, that would be handy. Mind you, with the growing coffee culture in NZ, it might be easier to list the bad ones.

espressomattic wrote:So what's wrong with visiting Hamilton :? Coffee capital of my woprld at least ;)

'woprld'? NZ spill-chickers are indestructible!!
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

RE: Re: RE: Ping New Zealand NorthIslanders

Postby espressomattic » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:19 am

'It is all about Woprld out here mate, it's the pies you see.
espressomattic

Postby julianz » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:09 am

Not Whangarei for me, I'm on Auckland North Shore.

Anywhere in Ponsonby is probably a good start for Auckland. I must admit I haven't been out for much coffee in the real world lately, being a work-from-home type in this weather means I try not to leave the house much, and when I do it's probably for beer! But I have two local cafes that are definitely worth checking out, Verrans at Verrans Corner do a really great coffee and Au Bon Coin down in BeachHaven does decent coffee and great French food.

http://www.viewauckland.co.nz/review_3066.html

http://beachhavenaucklandnz.blogspot.co ... /cafe.html
julianz

Postby leecb » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:50 pm

"Dizengoff" on Ponsonby Rd, and "Two Loaves and Five Fishes" on Jervois Rd were both good last time I was there. Rocket in Mt Eden (on Dominion Rd in the Balmoral shops) is usually reliable.The likelihood of getting a bad coffee is considerably less than here!! (Ponsonby Rd is the aforementioned La Marzocco mile by the way and there are literally 18 LM's in that mile of road! :shock: )
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby leecb » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:52 pm

PS. maybe you could divert all traffic to Tauranga through Hamilton if you're lonely Mitty! You have the POWER!!! 8) :lol:

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby Glenn » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:28 pm

Waves Cafe at Hot Water Beach on the Coromandel is worth a visit.
Adorned with a LM and staff that know their stuff. It's worth a visit just to view the artwork too.
Gaggia Classic | Mahlkonig Vario | Chemex | Aeropress | Refractometer & Extract Mojoâ„¢ | mypressi TWISTâ„¢ | Reg Barber Copper Base Tamper | and only the best beans
Glenn

Postby espressomattic » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:43 pm

And to dig a pit and have a soak too Glenn! I will have to try there when I next go that way. Sadly no decent coffee in Huntly...like that is a surprise though :roll:

Leigh - Now I am a Traffic Cop I have all the power :evil: But I am not lonely...all my invisible friends keep me company ;)
espressomattic

Postby Glenn » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:58 pm

Don't stop in Huntly

A. It's like Liverpool (nuff said)
B. You'll get your wheels nicked (see A)
C. There is no decent coffee in Huntly - although, bizarrely you are close to more hot pools (Waingaro Hot Springs)

If you are travelling from Auckland to the Coromandel then stop at the Pipiroa Country Kitchen. Decent Coffee, and also hot springs (Miranda) near by.

However, if there was a connection to thermal properties and decent coffee then Rotovegas (Rotorua to the tourists) should knock the socks off the kiwi cafe leaderboard... but I don't think this is the case (unless times have changed)
Gaggia Classic | Mahlkonig Vario | Chemex | Aeropress | Refractometer & Extract Mojoâ„¢ | mypressi TWISTâ„¢ | Reg Barber Copper Base Tamper | and only the best beans
Glenn

Postby espressomattic » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:13 am

Nothing spectacular in RV, but nothing bad either.

Waingaro Springs are fun, but could do with a tidy up and a decent cafe! If you want a good feed, then the Pink Pig on SHW2 is good and the Rangiri Tavern on SHw1 North of Huntly does monster steaks.

Hey Pipiroa, I think that is on my area, must take a wander out there soon if that is the case.
espressomattic

Postby leecb » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:49 pm

There is a cafe in Matamata too that won the NZ cafe of the year a couple ago, called Workmans Cafe. It should be sort of on the way to somewhere although I'm not sure where. When I lived in NZ Matamata was a well known S**THOLE! Having said that it's not as bad as Huntly and definitely better than Tokoroa!! :lol:

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby espressomattic » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:47 pm

I drove through Matamata a while ago and the town centre looks pretty nice. Seems that having resident Hobbits (Hobbiton was filmed there) has done it good. I dunno Leigh, Tokoroa has a unique charm and oozes character...well if you are a mob member that is!

Ohhh, I forgot to mention Red Cherry which is nowhere near Tauranga ;) On SH/W1 to Cambridge. Roast on site and have some nice blends on offer. They use amongst others Harrar (FT - Yeah I know, but it is good) and it really comes through in the blend.

Hey did you know RObert Harris won the coffee awards this year with one of their Home Barista Blends? Scary stuff that a big roaster can do so well!! Gee life is hard here sometimes :evil: I can see why you moved Leigh :P
espressomattic

Return to Places to drink coffee