Coffee in London

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Coffee in London

Postby MarkA » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:44 pm

Will be over in London next week - would love to take the chance to try out a few great coffees while I am there.

Where do folks reckon are the 'must visit' coffee shops?
MarkA

RE: Coffee in London

Postby smoocher » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:07 pm

if you can be bothered to trawl this thread http://toomuchcoffee.com/index.php?name ... pic&t=6855
there's some gems in there

flatwhite 1/2 are cool. there's somewhere that has a synesso and if someones smart enough to buy one of those they're probably smart enough to make brilliant coffee. i don't know what the store is called, nor have i ever been i'm sure someone can tell you though.

if its as hot next week as it was today you're probably just going to want to kill yourself though. it was completely unbearable in town today.
smoocher

RE: Coffee in London

Postby lukas » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:09 pm

When are you there? Don't miss Flat White and Squaremilecoffee :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Re: RE: Coffee in London

Postby MarkA » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:16 pm

lukas wrote:When are you there? Don't miss Flat White and Squaremilecoffee :)

Should be in town on Tuesday. Did not think Jim and Co were open yet, maybe I am wrong?
MarkA

RE: Re: RE: Coffee in London

Postby Styles » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:45 pm

and if someones smart enough to buy one of those they're probably smart enough to make brilliant coffee

I'd be very wary of this kind of sentiment. Sure, it can be a good indicator as to whether people take it seriously enough to spend the money, but it's certainly no guarantee.

The store with the Synesso, incidentally, is Fernandez and Wells, Beak St, Soho.

Bea's of Bloomsbury is worth looking at, too.
Styles

Postby Slimboyfat » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:51 pm

Would second Bea's of B - Most excellent Square Mile Espresso and unfeasably large slices of cake - and all just 4 minutes walk from my office :D
Regards
Slimboy...

...never knowingly underfed

expobar pulser, quickmill 031, Reg Barber Radical Pro US curve, Koenigbot, aerobie, armour plated welded 1910 hybrid german whirley, several french presses, antique nepolitana, an old stovetop, Zassenhaus that smells of pepper and a hoover attachment colander/cooler thing
Slimboyfat

Postby kingseven » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:13 pm

We don't yet have our retail space, but are working on it and the roastery is more production and less suitable for hospitality.

Do try the espresso at Flat White and Milk Bar, we'd love to know what you think. In all fairness you should probably hit up Monmouth (they are so close) as well as Fernandez and Wells and also Sacred over off Carnaby Street.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Re: RE: Re: RE: Coffee in London

Postby MarkA » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:22 pm

Styles wrote:Bea's of Bloomsbury is worth looking at, too.

Thanks - will call in

kingseven wrote:We don't yet have our retail space, but are working on it and the roastery is more production and less suitable for hospitality.

Do try the espresso at Flat White and Milk Bar, we'd love to know what you think. In all fairness you should probably hit up Monmouth (they are so close) as well as Fernandez and Wells and also Sacred over off Carnaby Street.

Thanks Jim - will be in town most of the day on Tuesday and staying over on Tuesday night, so should have plenty of time to call in to a few places. Heading up to kingston upon thames on Wednesday to see Grant, Stephen and co before flying back home again on Wed evening.
MarkA

Re: RE: Re: RE: Coffee in London

Postby smoocher » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:15 pm

kingseven wrote:Do try the espresso at Flat White and Milk Bar, we'd love to know what you think. In all fairness you should probably hit up Monmouth (they are so close) as well as Fernandez and Wells and also Sacred over off Carnaby Street.

how long have flat white been using square mile coffee?
smoocher

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Coffee in London

Postby kingseven » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:56 pm

They aren't quite yet - should kick in Wednesday. I think Cam has been pulling the occasional shot over the weekend. Very exciting and challenging for us!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:25 pm

yes, i was lucky enough to stumble in on sunday and have a very nice square mile roasted espresso proudly placed in front of me to try out, i had an espresso from the usual monmouth the day before and this morning. i do like monmouth's espresso blend a lot but as an espresso at least, i prefer the square mile. can't wait for it to become regular.
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

Postby nickr » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:25 pm

The Monmouth blend is Ok - if a bit too fruity for me, but their beans storage is horrific. Open, large capacity bins. They may have changed this since I last visited, but it certainly put me off buying any, not to mention the ridiculous prices they charge
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:54 pm

Totally agree Nick on both counts.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Styles » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:55 pm

Nick and Cakey - you're really missing out then. They have a great offering of single origins. Well researched, and some of the best easily attained coffees in London.
Styles

Postby leecb » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:22 pm

I too have always wondered how you know the age of their beans in those big bins...
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee