Coffee in London

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby BillyT » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:58 pm

Interesting post James, I think that the predominant British coffee market, which is made up of the big chains sell quite a consistently poor quality cup of coffee, very generally speaking, this has resulted in the 'mis-education' of the average UK coffee drinker.

One of the most expensive business approaches, is the process of educating your customer, i.e making the customer understand why we, the "specialty coffee crew" (sorry couldn't think of another name), don't generally drink coffee from a big chain. I truly feel the indie market does not have the money and cash flow, to start that coffee education, yet.

I feel the role of SM in all this will be extremely significant. An indie business, with enough (hard earned) connections and respect, to perhaps be the catalyst for better coffee generally, educating the UK consumer, so that when another small indie business opens up selling just coffee, the customer knows what to look for..
Linea
Anfim
Anfim
Santos
BillyT

Postby Hugo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:21 pm

I try to relate the coffee business to the beer, wine and cheese businesses in the UK. My dissertation was on the resurgence of real ale microbrewerys in the UK back in the 90's, pretty much at the time the wine drinking public started to ask for a glass of chardonnay (not Chablis, mind) rather than 'medium or dry' and cheese was imported from New Zealand and mainly called cheddar.

These industries have all followed similar paths. Excellence exists, but the wider public just aren't aware of genuine excellence because they are educated by the supermarkets and big chains who sell mediocrity branded as excellence. The mass market buy beer brewed in Reading and their cheese and wine from the supermarket because it's cheaper. Quality across the board is up, but genuine excellence and it's understanding is still a niche.

I would love SM to capitalise on their achievements and get a message out there, but I'd be surprised if that message suited all of us.

Over to you Square Mile... no pressure.
http://www.relishfoodanddrink.co.uk
Relish Food & Drink
Foundry Court
Wadebridge
Cornwall
Hugo

Postby Tristan » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:06 pm

I agree SM have plenty of respect amongst the barista community but transfering that to the British public is no easy task, especially considering the fact that coffee is a subject similar to whisky - people are bewildered and generally steer clear of complicated decisions.

Getting that balance right of giving the customer what they want and what they should want is key.

Hugo - £8 beer, come on?! I've tried some incredible beers that are that sort of price and worth every penny for the expereience. I'm not saying you should drink it all the time but they have heir place.
The Wild Drink Blog
www.tristanstephenson.com
Expobar Brewtus II, Vario
Tristan

Postby BazBean » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:08 pm

for me the market has 3 distinctive sections...
the coffee enthusiast or us lot who make up in reality about 0.5% of the market place if that?
the coffee lover who knows more than most maybe give them credit for 9.5% shall we say?
and the rest of the other 90% of the UK who just want to sit down .

No brainer .. the 10% is my favourite market place and let every other 100 places in towns go after and divide the other 90% of the market.

i do sell paninni etc and make very little money after the expenses but offer them only because my loyal , hardcore customers want them and plus they drink coffee at the same time.
i dont want to but there is practical business reality to selling coffee to the great unwashed.

people will walk past a few coffee shops to get to there favourite place and while us or the 0.5% will drive a ten mile detour for a great shot the majority will not walk more than a qtr mile regardless of how good the coffee is.

that my experience anyhow
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Steve » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:50 pm

I'll quite happily spend whatever on a taste experience, and I think there are plenty of people who will do that. I don't claim to know a great deal about wine, but I've spent £70 on a bottle. I don't know a great deal about malt whiskey but have spent an awful lot more than that on one bottle. Tristen I need to be introduced to your beers :)

I don't think you need the geek element to sell great coffee. Just people who want to taste things, and are prepared to pay for it and there are a lot of those, a big chunk of folk. We just need to get the message right.

A thought provoking post.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Sharpjd » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 pm

My general impression is that people (would be coffee shop owners) have an irrational fear of the chains. This means either:
- they decide not to open their shop at all
- they choose a location avoiding being near a chain shop and therefore probably a bad footfall location

Although there are loads of players in the coffee shop market I believe there's huge scope for small businesses to take chain business...there's just not enough people to do it.
Sharpjd

Postby Jasonscheltus » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:51 am

These industries have all followed similar paths. Excellence exists, but the wider public just aren't aware of genuine excellence because they are educated by the supermarkets and big chains who sell mediocrity branded as excellence. The mass market buy beer brewed in Reading and their cheese and wine from the supermarket because it's cheaper. Quality across the board is up, but genuine excellence and it's understanding is still a niche.

I would love SM to capitalise on their achievements and get a message out there, but I'd be surprised if that message suited all of us.

Just in a quick response to this... In Wellington the supermarkets stock locally roasted coffee, some in pre-packaged bags and some from those large glass dispenser units where you fill the bag yourself. Why? Because it seems there are so many good local roasters (I counted 8 quality ones) that the supermarkets are forced to offer the same quality and access. Oh, and Wellington is a town in New Zealand with a population of less than 400,000.

Maybe this kind of optimism isn't suited to the English, but I think it is possible to change the public perception of value. And you're right, quality isn't for everyone, but there are 7,000,000 people here in London.
Jasonscheltus

Postby espressomattic » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:47 am

I agree Jason, up here in Hamilton (Another small town - 120,000) you can buy fresh roasted from any number of outlets, many cafes stocking their blend. Even in Pak n Save you can buy fresh roasted beans in bulk. We have half a dozen roasters here or nearby. Even in Russell, a very small toan, the opton is there to buy locally roasted coffee. The bottom line is the like you say...they have to supply the quality because that is what is expected.

Sorry to fly and wave the Antipodean Flag guys, but it is a comparison at the far end of the scale.
espressomattic

Postby Steve » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:53 am

LOL so perfect we have at least 10 customers in New Zealand and more in Australia ;)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:27 am

Jasonscheltus wrote:I was speaking to David Makin about it last week and he said something interesting; that the total number of cafes in Melbourne doesn't really change, just that when a new high quality cafe opens in Melbourne, it pushes out a low quality one from the bottom of the pile out of business.

That is an interesting point Jason and bodes well for the long term health of the Melbourne scoffee scene too. constant improvement of the collective has to be a good thing.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby smoocher » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:51 pm

you've got to think that the success of chains has a large role to play. if you consider that in america people are put off and the only 'real' competition in terms of specialty coffee is starbucks.
here we've got starbucks but nero, costa and coffee republic as well, i guess a lot of people buy coffee from pret too. that saying i don't believe there isn't room for independents too i just feel that we english really aren't big fans of change, like someone said we are ridiculously brand loyal, even if that brand offers us poor quality or service we usually stick with them and probably don't even complain.

i think factors such as rental prices, especially in london are insane, making it financially impossible to have a nice big space for people to sit and relax. the original monmoth is a really great example of this, i don't find that store particularly relaxing, just very pokey.
smoocher

Postby Narra » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:16 pm

and thats why most of the decent coffee in London is found on coffee carts and in very small venues.
Narra

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:56 pm

Welcome to TMC Ross :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby smoocher » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:43 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Welcome to TMC Ross :D

haha thanks i wanted to post in this thread SO MUCH that i signed up finally!
smoocher

Postby leecb » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:58 pm

But part of the reason for the high rents is companies like Starbucks et al who move into an area, pay above the going rate for rents and drive everyone else out, as their landlords in turn expect the same kind of returns! It has happened in my area of London and is causing serious problems with the small independent local operators of every type.
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

PreviousNext

Return to Places to drink coffee