Coffee in London

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Hugo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:46 pm

The thing that springs to mind about the NZ supermarkets stocking fresh roasted coffee is that in the UK quality will still be an issue. If Co-op or Tesco in the UK stocked it, it'd be as low quality as they can get away with....
I have the pleasure of a Co-op a couple of hundred yards from me...boasting an espresso bar serving hideous 'fairtrade' coffee and on their retail shelves they have Starbucks ground coffee that, I kid you not, is best before 19/12/07.
That sums up UK supermarkets, plenty of scope for good coffee retail from the independents.
http://www.relishfoodanddrink.co.uk
Relish Food & Drink
Foundry Court
Wadebridge
Cornwall
Hugo

Postby stuartlee » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:37 pm

Hugo wrote:I have the pleasure of a Co-op a couple of hundred yards from me...boasting an espresso bar serving hideous 'fairtrade' coffee and on their retail shelves they have Starbucks ground coffee that, I kid you not, is best before 19/12/07.

Our local Asda in Newcastle sells Pumphreys coffee in the supermarket 'best of local produce' bit.

I know for a fact that it's sitting on the shelf, bought in bulk, right until the last day before the BEST BEFORE date runs out, quite appalling. It's very easy to see why when you hook a customer in with 'proper' fresh coffee you should have them for life.

My guess, Hugo is that its probably been there for 6 month already 'in the back'.

I’m very much of the opinion that if I do open a café it’s going to be purposefully next to a Costanerobucks. I’ll gladly take the initial hit with rents because I know I can produce a better drink, and keep customers with coffee knowledge and quality. We all know what it’s like to have that first cup of coffee that isn’t swill. You can’t have coffee out again (like the restaurant health inspector tying to go out for a romantic meal, just not going to happen) You spend all the time just praying that you’re not going to burn your mouth, taste charcoal and wear your cappuccino on your nose. That’s why I’m confident that anyone producing better drinks will slowly increase their customer base. Every time someone has to wait in line for Costanerobucks they will think about going next door and if they do they’ll stay. They’ll tell their friends about their fantastic pretty rosetta, their great filter brew or that sweet espresso. Once you've got them they can't go anywhere else!

Here ends the rant!

By the way HI EVERYONE, I’ve been neglecting TMC again and must be punished.
StuartLee
(Mentness)

www.mentness.wordpress.com

San Remo Verona TCS | Mahlkonig K30ES |Mahlkonig Vario | Aeropress | 1 cup Filter station | A growing tamper collection |ACD sample roaster | a bit of a Pumphreys
stuartlee

Postby Gwilym » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:07 pm

when talking of the success of the chains i presume were defining this by number of outlets?
how are they doing profit wise? Coffee Republic for example - have they ever made a profit?
Gwilym

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:26 pm

stuartlee wrote:By the way HI EVERYONE, I’ve been neglecting TMC again and must be punished.

Oh please Stuart don't encourage Dom ..... he'll only get his whips out again, and I can't cope with the sight of him in that leather 'suit' he insists upon! :shock:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:36 am

CakeBoy wrote:
stuartlee wrote:By the way HI EVERYONE, I’ve been neglecting TMC again and must be punished.

he'll only get his whips out again, and I can't cope with the sight of him in that leather 'suit' he insists upon! :shock:

Doesn't fit me mate, only you, I'm much more slender :P
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:53 am

:oops:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby dsc » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi,

Oh please Stuart don't encourage Dom ..... he'll only get his whips out again, and I can't cope with the sight of him in that leather 'suit' he insists upon!

is he going to speak in German as well?:) 'zis is gut ja' :D

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:46 pm

dsc wrote:is he going to speak in German as well?:) 'zis is gut ja' :D

There's absolutely no proof of that, it's lies I tell you, all lies... and a gross and indefensible intrusion :wink:
Gouezeri

Postby geedee » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:45 pm

Gouezeri wrote:
dsc wrote:is he going to speak in German as well?:) 'zis is gut ja' :D

There's absolutely no proof of that, it's lies I tell you, all lies... and a gross and indefensible intrusion :wink:

OK Max! ... we have blown your cover now ... :shock:
Life's uncertain, eat pudding first!
--------------------------------------
Wega Mini Nova - rotary , plumbed in
Macap 7 grinder
Old Monarch Deli Grinder
Gaggia MDF grinder (for sale)
3 presspots
2 mocha pots
geedee

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:47 pm

Varrrrrrrrroooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...... :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Previous

Return to Places to drink coffee