Starbucks closing 600 stores in the US

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Starbucks closing 600 stores in the US

Postby Aadje » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:23 pm

Just heard at the news that *$ will close 600 stores in the US, because their rather expensive coffees don't sell as good as they used to anymore, due to their prices and the growing competition. There will be still 6500 stores left though.

That will be a lot of people getting fired . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

RE: Starbucks closing 600 stores in the US

Postby Glenn » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:42 pm

The company says about 12,000 employees, or seven percent of its global workforce, will lose their jobs because of the closures.

It says it will open fewer than 200 stores in 2009.
Gaggia Classic | Mahlkonig Vario | Chemex | Aeropress | Refractometer & Extract Mojoâ„¢ | mypressi TWISTâ„¢ | Reg Barber Copper Base Tamper | and only the best beans
Glenn

RE: Starbucks closing 600 stores in the US

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:43 pm

I wonder if this is a sign that the so-called 'global recession' is really biting expendible income and making the relatively expensive coffee at chains less attractive, or whether the consumer is becoming slightly better educated and decided that the quality to cost ratio is not ideal?

Let's hope that at least some of it is because of the indie guys serving decent coffee at two-thirds of the chain prices and showing the consumer what is possible :D

Okay, okay, I can dream .......... ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Places to drink coffee