good coffee map (UK)

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

good coffee map (UK)

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Sun May 18, 2008 12:55 pm

i made this editable google map in order to show where a couple of places were in the voodoo thread but maybe its better to make a separate thread and start this as a resource. I thought someone had done this before but i cant find it with a quick search on the forum.

google coffee map

log in to google and then hit edit, i will leave it open to all collaborators unless anyone starts listing starbucks etc...

i did think of listing places with bad coffee too, but i thought that maybe a little risky and its all subjective i suppose.
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

RE: good coffee map (UK)

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Sun May 18, 2008 1:16 pm

ok, i just found the map i was looking for, kingseven posted it in the other thread, sorry for the overlap.
http://www.platial.com/kingseven/map/16 ... offee_Tour

I might transfer these places across, if only because people might be more likly to edit if they already have a google ID rather than signing up to another website? The only problem is i cant tell quite work out where some of these places are, cafe vergnano seems to be somewhere between west st, litchfield and charing cross and i can't remember myself where it is.i

but i can't believe i missed out monmouth!

(edit) its also encouraging that within the last 2 years how many more places we can add!
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

RE: good coffee map (UK)

Postby Skippy » Mon May 26, 2008 6:08 pm

The midlands really needs some good cafes :(
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby grib » Tue May 27, 2008 8:43 am

So does Northern Ireland!
Last edited by grib on Thu May 29, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grib

Postby Neo » Tue May 27, 2008 8:50 am

So does Hong Kong!
Anfim supercaimano
Gaggia Baby
Cloth filter
Syphon
Lovely coffee from a great roaster
Neo

Post subject: RE: good coffee map (UK)

Postby PhilT » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:58 am

Added Caffè Vergnano to the google map. How do you set the icon to be a coffee cup?!

I paid a visit yesterday, and had an excellent cappuccino from the big Elektra Belle Epoque and a decent raisin danish. Certainly a serious establishment, and several cuts above the average. £1.90 for a small capp.

Phil
Last edited by PhilT on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhilT

RE: Post subject: RE: good coffee map (UK)

Postby kingseven » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:24 am

I've added a few more. Would be good to keep this thing active and alive.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby dsc » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:12 am

Hi,

maybe this thread should be a sticky?

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:49 am

Can definitely make this a sticky.
However, the list as it stands could do with some editing, it is not always easy to see where somewhere is at first glance. And, there are at least 2 places there that I would no way define as an "above average coffee shop or roaster." There's also nothing stopping businesses from adding themselves, so it then becomes commercial.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

re

Postby dsc » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:02 pm

Hi,

well maybe James can block it somehow, so that only he is able to add new things to it?

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

RE: re

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:11 pm

I don't think it was Jim who first created that map. Jimmy Boy?
The other problem is that now that Jim runs his own business, some people might object to him running the list.
It could be a very useful resource though. It's reminded me that I need to check out Gwilym's places sometime. :D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby syscrusher » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:14 pm

added a couple of spots in Dublin
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby kingseven » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:28 pm

It wasn't me who created the list - though you can see the ones I've added and I've tried to be impartial in doing so. I have just added places I would genuinely visit for coffee.

Moderation is a tricky thing, as are the addition of consumer reviews or anything similar.

You should go and check Gwilym's place out though - the man is a wizard behind the machine!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Steve » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:57 am

Could we not set up our own map that then controlled by admins (I know they will love this as the admins don't do anything and have lots of free time) :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:16 pm

i was the one who started this map, i haven't really moderated so far at all, i haven't been to most of them myself so i don't know where to start! at first i thought it would be fun to get some suggestions of new placees so left it open, but i expect its been found by a few businesses, and it will probably only get worse. I did begin to wonder when algerian coffee popped up on there, i'm not such a fan of the beans i have had from them, and i wouldn't say the takeaway espresso is good. but on the other hand its an interesting fun shop, some people rate it.
its a pity there isn't some kind of submission control with google maps, as it is fun to leave it open, you never know there maybe some hidden gems

As the founder i can limit the contributers to any particular people, and i am quite happy to give the admins of tmc control too. btw steve of course i wanted to add hasbean, but then i realised i don't know exactly where you are, and in any case you probably don't want random 'internet people' turning up thinking they are gonna get a caramel macchiato and muffin when they didn't read that its a roaster.

let me know what you all think and i will make any changes necessary, it would be fun to turn it into a more definitive organized list.
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee