Dublin

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby bluevalentine » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:41 pm

Aadje wrote:
btw, what's whith the Dublin 2 on all the adresses. Why not just Dublin, but allways Dublin 2?

Dublin '2' is the postal district. Even numbers , south of the Liffey; odd numbers, northside. Bigger numbers, roughly speaking, are further from the city centre. Thus 1 and 2 are central, north and south respectively. 1,2,4 and 6, combined would have the most coffee outlets.

Best cappu? Probably Coffee Angel if Karl is on the van.
Followed by La Corte and Buzz, who certainly TALKS a great cappuccino.
Michael at Ariosa, Karl and Buzz all do reliable espresso but I've rarely if ever had a "wow!" shot in Dublin.
Lemon used to be good but is now inconsistent. I don't rate Napoli.
Butlers in the City Centre is fairly vile; curiously, its airport branch is much better .
Only decent espresso I ever had in Bewleys was made bespoke for me by one F.Thud - congrats, btw and my best to the bro.
The beans at Bewleys are very decent, though, and the guy in Grafton Street will level with you as to when the batch was roasted.

Espresso and cappu in Dublin restaurants is woeful and the Michelin brigade are among the worst offenders. I can never understand why, as they train the bejaysus out of waiters and sommelier. Especially as the coffee is the last thing you have before you pay the bill and leave! I am running a campaign on this at the minute.
Reneka Techno V2M / Anfim doserless grinder / HotTop KN8828P / Reg & Espro / 3 French presses + Bialetti + Turkish ibrik + filter + Aeropress
In extremis I munch the beans

Coffee falls into the stomach ... ideas begin to move... shafts of wit start up like sharp-shooters, similies arise, the paper is covered with ink ...
Honore de Balzac
bluevalentine

Postby syscrusher » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:42 pm

Aadje wrote:btw, what's whith the Dublin 2 on all the adresses. Why not just Dublin, but allways Dublin 2?

The city centre south of the Liffey river is Dublin 2, north of the Liffey is Dublin 1 - then as you move out from the city even numbers on the south, and odd number on the north.

Glad you had a good experience with Buzz too.
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby syscrusher » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:00 pm

Ok - so only an hour or two ago I dropped into Bewleys for a cappa and a double espresso. The milk was done really well. I'd normally get a latté but I spotted they were done in tall glasses and it's not really my thing. Lovely little rosetta, nice milk texture, good temp. The espresso had a nice dark crema with some flecking and although it was served in a cappa cup, the persistance of the crema was decent.

From a technical point of view it would be hard to find much fault - the only issue I have though is with the blend - is it the Café Blend they use in the Café (as opposed to the "Espresso" blend)? I just found it a little light - especially for the espresso. This may have been compounded with the espresso that seemed to be heading in the direction of lungo. When I asked to buy some espresso beans I was offered the "medium" strength Café Blend or the stronger "Espresso" blend. I suspect the Café Blend is used as more of a crowd pleaser.

Still it's very obvious that the baristas know their stuff, as did the gentleman I bought the beans off (250g of Espresso, 250g of Sidamo).

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby grib » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

I'm off to Dublin today and I'm wondering is there anywhere in or near the city that I can pick up some coffee equipment. I'm looking for a kona pot (which I'll prob get in a department store) but specifically plastic 1 cup filter cones and gold mesh filters, I can't get them anywhere up north.
Andrew "Grib" Gribben
Former Freelance Barista
The Griblog
grib

Postby andrew_duffy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:38 pm

Dublin is divided into 24 postal districts, and the shopping core of the city is almost entirely within district 2 - Dublin 2.
andrew_duffy

Postby bluevalentine » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:28 am

andrew_duffy wrote:Dublin is divided into 24 postal districts, and the shopping core of the city is almost entirely within district 2 - Dublin 2.

Well, I am by no means a Northsider but Henry Street always seems pretty busy whenever I pluck up the courage to venture across the bridge. The people seem happier than the miserable sods on Grafton street too.
Reneka Techno V2M / Anfim doserless grinder / HotTop KN8828P / Reg & Espro / 3 French presses + Bialetti + Turkish ibrik + filter + Aeropress
In extremis I munch the beans

Coffee falls into the stomach ... ideas begin to move... shafts of wit start up like sharp-shooters, similies arise, the paper is covered with ink ...
Honore de Balzac
bluevalentine

Postby syscrusher » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:23 am

bluevalentine wrote:Well, I am by no means a Northsider but Henry Street always seems pretty busy whenever I pluck up the courage to venture across the bridge. The people seem happier than the miserable sods on Grafton street too.

As happy as pigs in shit!

(PS I live on the Northside)

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby charmon » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:01 pm

Meant to post this before now but better late than never.had a great cap in fallon and byrne who are using Ariosa beans and competition size cups.nice to have another option in dublin
charmon

Postby Walter » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:00 am

Just wondering if the recommendations are still up to date, as I'll be spending a few days in Dublin in Nov...
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
Walter

Postby syscrusher » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:39 pm

3FE (Third Floor Espresso), 54 Middle Abbey St, Dublin 1.

Colin Harmon's new shop, serving espresso from Hasbean. One cup filter also being brewed.

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:47 pm

syscrusher wrote:3FE (Third Floor Espresso), 54 Middle Abbey St, Dublin 1.

Colin Harmon's new shop, serving espresso from Hasbean. One cup filter also being brewed.

Does the barista tap the counter a lot when he talks? ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby dsc » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi Cakes,

aaaaahaha!! I noticed that as well. Colin I mean this in the nicest way possible: that tapping is annoying:)

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:52 pm

What if he taps his portafilter, does that count?
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:11 am

Or even taps his taps! :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby smoocher » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:44 am

dsc wrote:Hi Cakes,

aaaaahaha!! I noticed that as well. Colin, I mean this in the nicest way possible: is annoying:)

Regards,
dsc.
smoocher

PreviousNext

Return to Places to drink coffee