Report: the birth of the "MOCCA CLUB"....

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby lukas » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:06 am

Oh Jealousy!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Paul L » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:51 am

Thanks Alan and Joey. My flight is schedule to land at 7.35pm Vienna time so I guess by the time I have checked in at the hotel (Intercontinental) I will have 9pm onwards to myself. No worries if you're not there Joey, I'm sure I'll just sit back and enjoy a cup or three :)
Paul L

Postby Paul L » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:37 pm

Time has flown since I briefly stopped in Vienna, has Chrsitmas and New Year really come and gone that quickly :shock:

My 36 hour trip was right in the middle of the Heathrow problems. Yes I know, which ones? Fog caused chaos, allegedly fly-by-wire and modern technology meant it was business as usual but BAA were taking no chances and halved the flight traffic in and out as many will have seen in the headlines at the time. So, delays going out, sat on the plane an hour on the runway, announcements mid-flight that those connecting elsewhere would probably be spending the night in Vienna, worse coming back, delays, cancellations etc. etc.

Amidst all this and the natural increased tiredness, I could have just collapsed into the hotel bed and left it at that but I didn't. I dragged myself out into the night and pestered hotel staff and cabbies until one of them could direct me to the Mocca club. Joey was out, as she mentioned, and that was fine, I wanted to be polite in there as to why someone was a bit more curious than usual with the coffee but not make a nuisance of myself. I chatted briefly to Joey's barista that night, I think he said they called him "easy" or EZ short for his real name but I forget. I kept it simple with a couple of capps and enjoyed them, I wasn't there to cup, just to relax and enjoy for a few minutes.

For UK folk, the decor is a bit like the Jim Thompson restaurants and bars, not my thing as I get older (43 looming) but it's good decor for the young and just for character anyway. Going rate for capps in Vienna looked to be EUR3.30 and for a size of cup that would see the typical Brit threatening to punch a few people if they did not bring a proper cup! Classic small capp size in other words and not the pints of milk-slop which Starbucks and it's rivals have sewn in the minds of joe public over here. Your drink is servid on an elongated saucer with a small glass of water and a cinnamon stick. The menu is very chocolate/mocca oriented and I understand this is typcical Viennese palate. I did not go for anything exotic such as the Kopi Luwak, just a humble Brazilian and another I would need to see the menu to recall. Surprised to see the milk poured in using a spoon, not a criticism, just an observation.

If I visit Vienna again soon, I shall go back and of course chat with Joey if she's there at the time. One of my colleagues is off to see a different client their next week and I shall steer him in for a visit of course.
Paul L

Previous

Return to Places to drink coffee