flat white 2?

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Gwilym » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:35 pm

popped in today
very friendly, great flat white- really nice! ....and best fluffy art i have seen
felt privileged to be there while it was quiet.
yes to triple baskets. dosing same as fw
Gwilym

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:12 am

Was going to pop in tonight, but was a bit late and they had some kind of private party going on. Hadn't realised that it was next door to a mate of mine's, so I'll probably get the chance to check it out quite a bit.

Don't know if I'm alone in thinking this, but there are a few decent places in central london now, but I just wish there was more variation in the coffee/blends used, just enough to give each place it's own slant and to provide the customer with something different.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Beanie » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:27 am

Gouezeri wrote:Don't know if I'm alone in thinking this, but there are a few decent places in central london now, but I just wish there was more variation in the coffee/blends used, just enough to give each place it's own slant and to provide the customer with something different.
Square Mile.... even from this far away, I'm eagerly awaiting ;) :D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby FlyingThud » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:32 am

look out for teaser campaigns coming soon on the m25
FlyingThud

Postby Beanie » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:57 pm

FlyingThud wrote:look out for teaser campaigns coming soon on the m25
That's going to be rather difficult from Toronto :P :roll: :lol:
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:27 pm

Hmm Jim's not very photogenic and a billboard campaign could prove costly - unless you can get some snappy slogans and corporate sponsors on board?

How about 'Specs by McAlpine and Hair by Flymo'? 8)

Bertie
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby kingseven » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:33 am

Bertie_Doe wrote:

Hmm Jim's not very photogenic and a billboard campaign could prove costly - unless you can get some snappy slogans and corporate sponsors on board?

How about 'Specs by McAlpine and Hair by Flymo'? 8)

Bertie

Well...!

No free coffee for you then!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Aadje » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:37 am

That'll teach him! The rascal . . . 8)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Bertie_Doe » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:32 am

kingseven wrote:Well...!

No free coffee for you then!

Aadje wrote:That'll teach him! The rascal . . . 8)

No problemo - I will stuff lots of pillows about my person, wear a patch over one eye and anounce that I am Cakeboy. You get my drift ...... at hourly intervals, I'll demand good coffee and a hot muffin (or vice versa) and grow larger by the minute. Freebies - the life of spice.
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Beanie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:04 am

BD... You're just lucky you didn't get outright banned :P Oh... and haven't Cakey & K7 actually met? Your plans may be foiled :twisted:

James, I say charge him a premium and make him look at photos of you while he drinks it until he sees the error of his ways and recants :P :lol:
Beanie

Postby JonEdwards » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:28 am

Stopped by yesterday.

As others have said, very much in the FW mould. Surprisingly quiet for a lunchtime - I didn't need a riotshield and a good run up to get in through the door!

The latte art looked good - saw a *very* leafy rosetta poured and was interested to see the barista reject a perfectly decent looking espresso shot on the basis that it was about 5ml short. Good to see the strive for perfection in action.

Seems slightly strange to me to open another outlet quite so close to the first though. I'll admit I usually travel by bike, so they're only about 4 minutes from each other, but is the catchment area for *really good* coffee quite so small?

Any chance of one in S. Ken next? :wink:
JonEdwards

Postby Aadje » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:19 am

I'm still waiting for James opening his shop here in Enschede . . . :roll: ;)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Jasonscheltus » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:40 pm

JonEdwards wrote:Seems slightly strange to me to open another outlet quite so close to the first though. I'll admit I usually travel by bike, so they're only about 4 minutes from each other, but is the catchment area for *really good* coffee quite so small?

Any chance of one in S. Ken next? :wink:

I don't think the catchment area is that small. In fact, in London I think it's huge and mostly untapped, and this could be why they open a new store so close the first one; why open in So Ken if you can open around the corner and enjoy the same success? This example can be demonstrated by Fernandez and Wells successfully opening just around the corner from Flat White, a very busy cafe.

I think more competition for places like Flat White will only benefit them, us, and everyone. In the same way Starbucks (and here, Costa) introduced pedestrians to espresso, special cafes will introduce people to special drinks and increase the market here even more.

Can't wait for Square Mile and the others to open, the next year or two will be very exciting.
Jasonscheltus

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:02 pm

I'm with Jason on this one. Bateman isn't really that close to FW1 and given the success of FW1 even with Sacred and Fernandez round the corner, suggests there's plenty of business. That's without even considering all of the chains and more mediocre independents. I'm sure it's an advantage to them, logistically.

As I say, would be nice to have more variation in the blends being used though, as things are pretty limited to Monmouth and Bullet in these central london cafe's. I would love to see the baristas stamping their own mark on each location which unique blends.

Are you referring to anywhere in particular Jason, when you say "others"?
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Gwilym » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:37 pm

he is a tease
do know of a couple of great coffee makers not employed in london though. one even has his own roaster.
is this more of a tease?
Gwilym

PreviousNext

Return to Places to drink coffee