Toronto - Dark Horse Espresso

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Toronto - Dark Horse Espresso

Postby Beanie » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:06 pm

This could now be one of three destinations in the city for me... yippeee.

Dark Horse is located on the north side of Queen Street East near Broadway... just a few blocks west of Mercury Organic Espresso :D

Last night, during the Barista Jam / Latte Art Throwdown at Manic Coffee, I spoke to a few people from Dark Horse and it appears they're offering both Intelly and 49th Parallel coffee :D So I'm off for a 1st time tasting of 49th coffee and a coffee chat later this afternoon :D

Will report back tonight :D I'm soooooo excited :P
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

RE: Toronto - Dark Horse Espresso

Postby lukas » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:21 pm

awwww have fun beany :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Beanie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:16 pm

Thanks Lukas... and I DID!!! The roast style of 49th is more to my taste... no more lingering roasty after-finish :D Yipppeeee!!!! Maybe it's my imagination but the Kid O at both Mercury & DHE seemed lighter today.

They serve SO's (which change weekly) in FPs. I tasted a Rwandan (can't remember name now) and it was sooooo sweet! Low on acidity but there was a hint to sort of tease the buds. Strong caramelly-toffee in the aroma and could be tasted up front and in the after finish. Yummm. Then he decided to pull out the vac-pot (only 1 in the shop - they don't sell vac-pot coffee ;)) and put a different Rwandan in it. Again, there was that caramelly thing going on. A crisper coffee... something apple-ey (?) or blackcurrant-y up front and definitely chocolate. Wish we had done the same coffee as FP and vac-pot... but oh well... next time ;) I'll look up the specific names of the coffees I had and post it later.

I loved the shop inside... very laid back... HUGE communal 'rustic' table - just gorgeous :D Airy, spaceous, and comfy. Most definitely, a go-back-to-regularly place!!

After that, I leisurely strolled eastbound (10 minutes?) to Mercury :D Well, it took longer than 10 minutes cause there's a big Apple store smack in btwn the two :P
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby BazBean » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:37 pm

Sounds Heaven !!
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Beanie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:49 pm

:D T'was indeed, Barry :D Oh and did I mention that the not-usually-sold vac-pot coffee was also on the house? :D :D

Come on over Barry... we also have a Scarborough (click on the "continue eastbound" link as well) here... I'm sure you can feel at home here too.

*edit* more pics
Beanie

Postby Beanie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:51 pm

As promised, the coffees I tasted yesterday:
In the espresso: 49th's Epic Espresso
In the FP: Intelligentsia's Rwanda Zirikana
In the vac-pot, I think: 49th's Rwanda Buremera
Beanie

Postby Aadje » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:27 am

So Beany, any chance you getting a job there?
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby BazBean » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:46 pm

Photos allways look wonderful but it really does look so,Tranquil .

somedays the beauty of this world we live can strike me speechless !
saying that others I just race throught it oblivious to everything and everyone...
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Return to Places to drink coffee