Best espresso in Zürich?

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Best espresso in Zürich?

Postby toma » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:01 am

A friend of mine is in Zürich and asked me for a suggestion. She loves great espresso. Any ideas?

She is also looking for a local source for quality roasted beans. (For example Harrar or Yemen.)

Thanks, toma
ECM Giotto Premium, La Cimbali Max, Chemex
toma

RE: Best espresso in Zürich?

Postby bruceb » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:31 am

I'll ask my youngest son. He's been living in Zürich for 5 years and must know what's available, although he normally only drinks his own espresso (Master of the Pavoni Pro). I'll give him a call this evening.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby toma » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:52 pm

Thanks, that sounds great. Couldn't think of a better source.
toma

Postby bruceb » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:35 pm

My son just called and I asked him. He said that the espresso at his home is good, but beyond that he can't seriously recommend any place at all. He said that many places have very good machines, good grinders, etc. but they don't know how to use them and/or use stale beans. One place that might be good (if the right barista is there) is Café Noir in the Neugasse. They even roast in the shop occasionally. They are a source of fresh coffee beans, but I don't think they do SOs. If your friend finds anything interesting it would be good to hear about it here.

Henauer Kaffee has many varieties and you can get their beans freshly roasted. I don't know anymore about them then that and my son has only tried them once and didn't really care for the espresso blend he got, but he said the selection is very large.

Good luck! :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: Best espresso in Zürich?

Postby roadman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:29 pm

bruceb wrote:He said that many places have very good machines, good grinders, etc. but they don't know how to use them and/or use stale beans.
Yep, I'd have to agree with your son on that score.

bruceb wrote:One place that might be good (if the right barista is there) is Café Noir in the Neugasse. They even roast in the shop occasionally. They are a source of fresh coffee beans, but I don't think they do SOs. If your friend finds anything interesting it would be good to hear about it here.
Had an okay espresso blend from there this week, but nothing to get excited about. It was fresh but a bit too darkly roasted for my taste.

For beans your friend could try the Bonga Forest Mischung at Hemmi Kaffee near the Zürich Hauptbahnhof. It's pretty decent. Has your friend considered ordering beans online? She may have better luck finding what she's looking for that way.

Jon
roadman

RE: Re: RE: Best espresso in Zürich?

Postby toma » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:43 am

Thank you both for the ideas. Cafe Noir sounds like a good place to start. I'll report it if she finds something great in Zürich.
toma

Postby toma » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:18 pm

My friend found a place beyond those mentioned that she thinks is great:

Café Carreda
Josefstr. 119

She was really impressed by the coffee.
toma

Postby fred25 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:17 pm

thanks for the suggestion toma - will try to remember it for the next time i'm in Zurich - would be great to have a nice coffee place somewher in CH! Must say generally though: switzerland... coffee.... not good :(
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Return to Places to drink coffee