Monastir, Tunisia

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Monastir, Tunisia

Postby Belgik » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:43 pm

I'm just back from a short trip to Tunisia, basically to visit a vessel (that's a ship, for the non-initiated) discharging in Gabès commercial port (a perfectly unappetizing place full of petcoke and big great heaps of sulphur). But, as always, there's a few magic moments, like when I spent the better part of two hours in Monastir, where I tried the coffee.

The usual Tunisian style of serving coffee is in small glasses, maybe total 7-8 centiliters presented in a 10 cl. glass. Served with steamed milk, the coffee part has a cream-brown colour. Usually made in huge, seemingly very old 3-lever machines, even though I also came across a more modern Rancilio electric pump maquina. The coffee is very mellow, very soft. Not very strong, they seem to be using a double basket, the coffee tamped lightly (but the portafilter locked with considerable might - ¿would that be because the rubber gasket of the pf is very used?). Tasting a bit like turkish/greek mokha, not at all bad, in spite of the fact that (I asked, and they brought me the packet) they seem to be using a commercial blend from a capital-city of Tunis "torrefacteur" ("roasted daily") and the very young "barista" didn't know a thing other than that the coffee was ...of course... 100% "arabica". Also, the hygiene (milk-steaming spout etcetera) was a matter of relative interpretation, and the coffee could have been hotter upon serving.

In some other cafés, the coffee was served in the "normal" small ristretto cups, without milk. I gather that must have been due to my european looks, as I could see the card-players sipping their with-milk glass...
Neither did I ever really find out the price, not expensive any case (a dinar seemed to be accepted without looking at it) though at the first place I got two glasses for a dinar. But I didn't ask questions, either, a dinar being about 40 eurocents...

All in all: not a bad cup, but plenty of room for improvement. Love the old machines (and the music...arabian nights...). Perfect if you wish to avoid the company of women, by the way.
ECM Giotto maquinas, Macap M5 grinder, reconditioned Zassenhaus manual grinder,
Thor tamper, Britta filtered water, cheap vacuum cleaner, Hottop "basic" roaster, green beans in stock.
Belgik

Return to Places to drink coffee