Taipei's amazing coffee culture!

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Taipei's amazing coffee culture!

Postby Sunnyfield » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:44 pm

This post is six months after the event, but still! I visited Taipei (Republic of China, aka Taiwan) for a long weekend last summer. One of the reasons was to visit the La Bella Taiwan roaster shop. Nothing could have prepared me for the excitement to come!

Taipei is just filled with coffee shops. There are at least five big chains (including Starbucks) and many small privately-owned outfits. One chain in particular was a real delight: Barista Coffee. My first double espresso there was oozing with crema and despite the dark roast had a lot of character and sweetness. Admittedly the second shot one hour later paled in comparison.

But it is not just the coffeeshops. There are so many shops selling coffee equipment, from siphons (very popular) to home roasters. One shop was even roasting coffee non-stop in their roaster from Turkey (Hasgaranti I think it was).

La Bella Taiwan is a roaster paradise for the coffee pro-sumer. It is full with shiny metal: espresso machines, roasters (500g to 5kg) and spare parts all over the place.

The Taiwanese love iced-coffee, by the way. Two fresh espresso shots poured in a cup full of ice cubes with lots of syrup. Of course shaken by a machine (they are tech geeks like the Japanese) and always sealed with a hygenic protective plastic film.

I will definitely go back, but then as part of a fully-planned coffee expedition. :D

And the clubbing scene in the nightlife is perhaps even more exciting. Sorry no pictures of that! ;)
Attachments
IMGP2498.jpg
Barista Coffee outlet
IMGP2498.jpg (62.14 KiB) Viewed 12621 times
IMGP2496.jpg
Notice the door handle
IMGP2496.jpg (39.44 KiB) Viewed 12621 times
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

RE: Taipei

Postby BazBean » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:41 pm

LOVE the door handle...!!
totally blown away :-)
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

RE: Taipei

Postby Aadje » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:42 pm

Well, grab a PF or two and make your own!
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Re: RE: Taipei

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:03 pm

BazBean wrote:LOVE the door handle...!!
totally blown away :-)

Yes indeed mate, VERY shapely ;) :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: Taipei

Postby BazBean » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:07 pm

Ohhh Cakes !!
Only you could ....pppftttt I give up !!!
(Shaking Head)
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

RE: Re: RE: Taipei

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:09 pm

Hehe :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Belgik » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:16 pm

Indeed...fantastic door handle...was it a real pf (looks a lot like an E61 one) or wat it larger than that/modeled after a real pf?

It never ceases to amaze me that the "coffee" (perhaps better said "espresso" phenomenon appears to be catching on absolutely everywhere, except in fact right here (unless we include the sales of nespresso machines, which appear to be booming).
ECM Giotto maquinas, Macap M5 grinder, reconditioned Zassenhaus manual grinder,
Thor tamper, Britta filtered water, cheap vacuum cleaner, Hottop "basic" roaster, green beans in stock.
Belgik

Postby SlowRain » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:16 pm

I live in Taichung City, but I wouldn't say the coffee culture here is amazing. I'm not surprised that Taipei's is better as it's a more cosmopolitan city.

Thanks for the tip about Barista Coffee; I'll have to give them a try. I know we have one in Mitsukoshi department store. Otherwise, we have Starbucks and a the Taiwan-only 85°C. Of those two, I prefer Starbucks.
SlowRain

Postby SlowRain » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:23 pm

I just found out that Stephen Morrissey was recently in Taiwan to do some judging and to conduct a workshop, as per the WBC website. He even came to Taichung. He visited Mojo Coffee, my local coffee shop. Click here to see him judging, and here to see him at Mojo/Retro.
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Postby SlowRain » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:03 am

Just to add more:

Here are some pics from Stehpen's flikr photostream showing Mojo/Retro Coffee here in Taichung. Browse around and you'll see other coffee pics, and a few of Taiwan.
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Postby SlowRain » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:05 am

I just came back from a trip to Taipei and was pleased to have a very good cappuccino at Taipei 101. It was at espressamente illy, which seems to be the coffee shop division of illycaffè. The cafe is located just to the left of the main entrance doors on the outside of the Taipei 101 shopping center (not the actual tower itself). If anyone is living in or visiting Taipei, I highly recommend both a trip to this cafe and a trip to the observation platform on the 89th floor. Go up in the afternoon for a daytime view and stay until the sun goes down and the city lights up.
SlowRain

Return to Places to drink coffee