Bad coffee in Amsterdam

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Bad coffee in Amsterdam

Postby Sunnyfield » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:14 pm

I was in Amsterdam two months ago and I had two very disappointing experiences at two of my favourite places.

I ordered a triple ristretto (one double + one single in one cup) and I got a bitter 250ml drink. Before I took a sip I politely (oxymoron) pointed out that I thought the shot(s) were way too long for a ristretto. And I cynically added that I wondered how big my drink would have been, had I ordered a triple espresso! After a frown from the barista I got to hear that this really was a triple espresso, and despite my subtle protest did not get a new shot. This is in stark contrast with other staff at that branch that were so curious that they started to hear me out on green beans and home roasting!

Then I went to Bagel & Beans along one of the canals to get my caffeine fix there. B&B use La Tarzocca Estate beans, which are really hidden gems! When I saw the 6 second shot I was already so discouraged I did not even protest.

I blame labour shortage in the Netherlands for the disinterest displayed by the baristas. :-(
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Return to Places to drink coffee