Happy Frog - Liskeard

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Happy Frog - Liskeard

Postby Bertie_Doe » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:51 pm

Got the whole day off yesterday, yea :) but a busy schedule ahead ; MOT the car, come back home and descale Zaffiro and roast some HB Sidamo. Overslept, no time for breakfast and coffee and just about made my appointment with the local garage. Had an hour to kill, it's too far to walk home, so did a bit of shopping. The local homebrew shop had run out of my fav Belgian yeast "it's on order etc", an inauspicious start to the day. :(

Wandered down Market Street, I could smell coffee and hear tummy rumbling, so popped into the Fat Frog Cafe, haven't tried them before, so decided to play safe and not order a straight espresso. Seating arrangements in 2 rooms for about 24, ordered 'Happy Frog Breakfast' and a double shot cap, with request "not too much milk please". The breakfast was ok, when I looked under the sauceage, hash browns, bacon, eggs and mushrooms, saw no evidence of mirthfull frogs. Frying it in olive oil and garlic would have been a nice touch, but this probably wouldn't be to the locals' taste.

The cappa on the other hand, was really a pleasant delight. Hints of dark choc, suggest that there maybe Dattera in the blend. Whilst eating, I noticed there were no orders for tea, this is a good sign and indicates that the clientel (across-the-board age groups) were happy with their capps latte etc.

Going thru to pay my bill, the waitress passed with a tray of 4 lattes. The 2 regular ones had some pretty good latte art ferns and the other 2 had floating islands of choc cream and mini marshmallow logs atop :shock:

Next to the Mazzer grinder, in matching silver grey was a beautiful 3 group Futurmat. Wow, the young baristas' street cred went up a large notch - it was a lever group. I complemented her on the espresso and asked about her bean source (as one does). She's very keen on her job, strict stock control, always fresh and her supplier is Darlingtons. They are fairtrade and organic (mostly) wholesale only and they also service and do lease hire on Faemas, LM's etc. All in all, a nice start to the day and will definately give the straight espresso's a try, next time I'm in the village.

Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

RE: Happy Frog - Liskeard

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:45 pm

A great find by the sound of it QC. That coffee smell on a chilly morning is a killer on an empty stomach, irresistible ..... :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: Happy Frog - Liskeard

Postby espressomattic » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:03 pm

CakeBoy wrote:A great find by the sound of it QC. That coffee smell on a chilly morning is a killer on an empty stomach, irresistible ..... :D

Something I may never experience for a while :P

25 Deg today :8:
60% Humidity :8:
11 on UV Scale (No number 12!!)
espressomattic

Re: RE: Happy Frog - Liskeard

Postby Bertie_Doe » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:54 pm

espressomattic wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:A great find by the sound of it QC. That coffee smell on a chilly morning is a killer on an empty stomach, irresistible ..... :D

Something I may never experience for a while :P

25 Deg today :8:
60% Humidity :8:
11 on UV Scale (No number 12!!)

If you're looking at Cake's avatar, then an empty stomach is indeed a distant dream :) Ok, you were referring to the chilly mornings. Well we don't envy you 'almost down under' the thought of sitting on a beach, swatting mosquitoes from the turkey and Xmas pud, next month, dosen't appeal. We're not envious :x

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

RE: Re: RE: Happy Frog - Liskeard

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:04 pm

Absolutely QC, you tell Kiwi Boy how it is ......... the lucky git ;) :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby propofolpete » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:46 pm

Yeh! Cold, wet,miserable weather rocks!!! :wink:
so it goes...

Gaggia. Aristarco. Grindenstien. Has beans. SQM.
propofolpete

Postby espressomattic » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:21 am

Yeah it is hard and I know you guys sympathise with my misery...now where did I put that iced latte? :P

I must inform you that we are not having turkey on the beach on Xmas day, but a Barbie by the cuzzies pool...the beach is boxing day :P :P
espressomattic

Postby BazBean » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:07 am

Thing is I have never seen a Mosquito in Leeds on a wet n cold November morning ..........
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:35 pm

Too right Baz :P. Don't forget your calamine lotion Mitty .......... and remember, whatever flies into your barbied snag buttie, it's all protein ;) :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby leecb » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:58 pm

Please please please Mitty DONT!!!!! :cry:
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby leecb » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:40 pm

PS there is no beach in Hamilton, he's just pulling your leg(s) HA!!! :twisted:

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:02 pm

I'll bet he's in the kids' sandpit again! ;) :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby leecb » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:27 pm

Pro'ly :roll: :lol:

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby Bren_D » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:18 pm

I had better drag myself out to Liskeard at some stage over the next few weeks :)
Gaggia Classic, Iberital MC2, Dualit grinder, a rather sexy Reg Barber and a collection of various press and moka pots. Oh and an Aeropress :)
Bren_D

Return to Places to drink coffee