Budapest - any ideas?

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Budapest - any ideas?

Postby psychomansam » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:23 pm

Have had a couple of fairly shocking coffees since i've been here... would b lovely if i could find something really nice at some point. anyone? Ah well. Prague seemed a fair bit better than here, i guess hungarian coffee culture just isn't up there yet!? Will tell u if i find anything nice!
Sam
:-)
Bezzera BB105, Hario slim grinder, Hario filter, swissgold filter, aeropress, cafetieres, cold brewer, stovetops, lots of teas...

...and lots of love
:-)
psychomansam

RE: Budapest - any ideas?

Postby easylife » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:55 pm

Bit late to reply perhaps ;o(

but try Gerbeau on Vorosmarty square, - excellent pastries, and if the coffee isn't quite up to what you might want, it's at least a very grand place to sit ;o)

(regrettably, like several places in Budapest, the service still harks back a bit to the Soviet era........)
Reneka Techno, Mazzer Mini-e, and a few other bits of coffee related junk
easylife

RE: Budapest - any ideas?

Postby toma » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:25 pm

There IS a place where you can get good coffee. It's Caffe da Carlo (Jókai u. 23 in the 6th district, not far from Nyugati Railway Station or Oktogon Square). It's a small place with two tables, owned and operated by Carlo, the Italian barista. He's very enthusiastic about the coffee, grinds directly into the portafilter, uses a tamper, cleans the machine after every shot, watches the pour and stops is manually, etc. And the coffee tastes good. Probably not as good as at the best places in the world but decent enjoyable coffee. Also beautiful microfoam on cappas.
ECM Giotto Premium, La Cimbali Max, Chemex
toma

Return to Places to drink coffee